Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 235

Packard Don, BigKev, Ozstatman, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 Reverse light
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Giles van Hees
See User information
My question is about the operation of the reverse light, not how it turns on or off with the transmission switch (that works fine) ,but when it works. As you can see by the wiring diagram the tail light, reverse light and the dash lights all tie to position 4 on the light switch. This position is not energized until the main light switch is in the parking light position or either of the headlight positions, so if the lights are off, the reverse light is not operational. Is this correct?

Attach file:

jpg  Wiring.JPG (0.00 KB)
226334_6561fcd89a3b7.jpg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2023/11/25 8:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 Reverse light
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Correct. It only worked when the lights were on. It's not like today where it also serves as a warning to others you are back up, it really was only to provise some light to see when reserving in the dark.

If I remember right, in later years even the trunk light only worked when the regular lights were on.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 10:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Giles van Hees
See User information
Thanks for putting my mind at rest!

Posted on: 2023/11/25 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Kev, not sure which later years you mean in particular, but that is incorrect for the V-8’s. Fortunately, the map light, rear interior light(s), outside courtesy lights (seniors), and trunk light were all powered off the main body fuse directly connected to the battery. The trunk light of course worked thru change of orientation; the other lights were powered by the respective door switches. On a senior 2 door, they all come on when one door is opened. On a sedan, the reading light is switched by the rear doors; the map light and outside courtesy lights are switched by the fronts. The exception is the Deluxe; while all sedans have a switch on the B pillar interior to switch on the reading light in addition to the door switches, the Deluxe has no door switches in the rear.

Annoyingly, the 2drs have no rear reading light switch so can only be switched by the doors, or the map light setting of the main headlight switch.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 12:41
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My point of reference was 51-54.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 12:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved