Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 242

Gary Kulp, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 Exhaust Replacement (Cut Pipes or Full Length?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
I am going to replace the exhaust system on my 1937 120. When ordering, there are options to have pipes cut or full length. Shipping is the cost difference, but they (Waldron) told me I would need to weld the front exhaust, but not the tail pipe.

Question: Welding aside, is there benefit to having them in pieces for installation vs. full pipes? Or is install the same? The exhaust system looks to navigate the frame and I am just not sure if a full pipe(s)would make that a challenge?

Thoughts appreciated!
Ben

Posted on: 2023/11/27 14:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 Exhaust Replacement (Cut Pipes or Full Length?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I did mine as two pipes and the muffler. Starting at the manifold back was how I installed it, leaving everything loosey-goosey until complete, the only issue I had was getting it over the differential, (like every other exhaust tail pipe I have done). All that was needed was to unbolt the diff from the spring perch and shock link on the passenger side and drop it about 6 more inches. This was on my garage floor with the car on jacks. You may not even have to that if you have a hoist, but even so it might of added 10 minutes to the job.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  tail pipe installed.JPG (261.45 KB)
225215_6564f0d457310.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/11/27 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks Bob! Looks pretty straight forward.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Sorry, that should be unbolt the shock link and the SWAY BAR, that will give you the clearance you need, the spring perch remains untouched. Sometimerz kicking in!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Per my 1951 Henney-Packard blog, I bought a very long NOS tailpipe and shipped it full-length via Alaska Air Freight which was very reasonable. The only caveat is that you have to have an airport nearby that is served by them and pick it up there, and the shipper has to be willing to take it to the airport on their end. Jackie Bruner at Max Merrett handled it for me once we came up with the idea!

Posted on: 2023/11/28 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Bob, Did your exhaust have a resonator? Could you add a picture of the muffler (and resonator). I am trying to see the fit within the frame.

Thanks!
Ben
Quote:

Bob J wrote:
I did mine as two pipes and the muffler. Starting at the manifold back was how I installed it, leaving everything loosey-goosey until complete, the only issue I had was getting it over the differential, (like every other exhaust tail pipe I have done). All that was needed was to unbolt the diff from the spring perch and shock link on the passenger side and drop it about 6 more inches. This was on my garage floor with the car on jacks. You may not even have to that if you have a hoist, but even so it might of added 10 minutes to the job.
Bob J.

Posted on: 11/30 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I did not go with a resonator. I had my entire exhaust custom made, but it is different than a regular 37 as my car has a 53 Patrician 327 in it, so uses a 2 1/4" diameter pipe set-up.
The muffler shot is below if you like. I believe a resonator would occur downstream from the muffler, likely below the gas tank.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Muffler installed.JPG (282.96 KB)
225215_656907dfb728d.jpg 2048X1201 px

Posted on: 11/30 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I did up this drawing of the muffler for the fabricator based on dimensions in the 53 specifications found on this site. I believe you can find specs for the 37 here as well.
Bob J.

Attach file:

pdf Muffler.PDF Size: 216.92 KB; Hits: 172

Posted on: 11/30 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks for this Bob

Posted on: 11/30 18:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved