Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
264 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 264

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'37 Packard 120 convertible Top (four door)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Was the metal frame around the rear window in a convertible top of a '37 120 four door plated with nickel or chrome?

Posted on: 12/5 16:03
 Top  Print   

Re: '37 Packard 120 convertible Top (four door)
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe chrome on the outside. Not sure about the inside frame finish.

Posted on: 12/5 16:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I remember years ago a long decertation in Old Cars Weekly newspaper about pre-war cars being nickel plated, while chrome became popular after the war. I believe it is a matter of plating. I have been told triple plating is copper/nickel/chrome so the top layer of chrome is a clear preservative. It does look different than nickel too, the nickel has a more silver metallic look. On my car I have not re-plated the side hood vents, window frame nor grill and you can see that the nickel is a tone different than the chrome on the other trim that had to be done. I chose chrome over nickel for the new plating as it is a tougher longer lasting finish (in my opinion mind you).
Bob J.

Posted on: 12/5 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The original plating on my '37 120 appears to be some kind of nickle on many items. The bumpers appear to be chrome. The nickle, or nickle-like finish is definitely not the mid-1950s type chrome plating. It looks different and it ages differently.

Door handles, hubcaps, the hood center molding, and the grill slats look like a kind of nickle plate. These pieces seem to acquire a greenish tarnish and the plating appears to be thin.The bumpers appear to be "modern" chrome and the finish is brighter, thicker, and more durable.

Posted on: 12/5 19:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Thanks for the response.
I have since determined that the original plating was nickel. I am having the two pieces re-plated with chrome (copper/nickel/chrome) - more durable. The cost ($450) is high but I have a lot of pitting which runs up the bill. Shallow pits can be decontaminated and the first copper coat will fill but the deep pits require more work - solder/weld fill the pot metal then file down. The copper will blister over time if you try to fill the deep pits.

Posted on: 12/9 14:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved