Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 Battery hold-down and cover fasteners?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Owns1
See User information
My 1929 with battery box behind the RH fender does not have a battery hold down. Also, the battery box cover has 2 holes for hold-down screws but there is nothing in the box to screw them into. So 1) what would this battery hold down look like and what does it fasten to, and 2) do the cover screws fasten into the hold down, because there appears to be nothing else to engage. The parts book pictures are too blurred to tell. Any photos of these parts would be very helpful, and better yet a source to purchase from.

Haven't been able to attach a photo yet...I'll keep trying.

Posted on: 12/12 21:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 Battery hold-down and cover fasteners?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
I have a reasonably unmolested 1929 Model 645 that has been in the family since at least 1930 so I am comfortable saying "what is left of the battery box is probably original". The battery box on mine has been treated rough. The battery hold down bracket is long gone...replaced by a square piece of angle iron that my grandfather (a mechanic) fashioned. I have attached photos of the hold down screws (there were four of them, one in each corner) and the bracket they fit into on the inside of the battery box. I had to replace the cover bolts that run from the bottom of the box up through the cover plate because they were nearly eaten off by years of battery acid. I bought the polished aluminum "chicago bolt" style top screws (the ones that hold the box cover on) from Bill Hirsch almost ten years ago, but I think there are a couple of suppliers reproducing them if he doesn't still make them

Attach file:

jpg  box 2.JPG (2,075.45 KB)
4844_6579f225b6d56.jpg 2816X1880 px

Posted on: 12/13 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information

Posted on: 12/13 13:55
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Owns1
See User information
Thanks, that really helps to know that the cover screws are female threaded! I found the supplier as well, thanks.

My cover has only 2 mounting holes, which from the parts book looks like was unique to the 626 and 633. The battery hold-down and the cover must use the same long studs that mount in the bottom of the battery box.
Now if anyone can rustle up a photo of the battery hold-down would be great!

If you look at the photo of my battery box, you can see a piece spot welded to the inside of the box that would be opposite the end of the battery. Not sure what this is for; it is on both ends.

Attach file:

jpg  626 battery box.jpg (5,099.96 KB)
226512_657bc7fbc6452.jpg 4032X3024 px

jpg  626 battery cover.jpg (4,033.40 KB)
226512_657bc823b62c1.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/14 22:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The picture filename probably has too many periods in it. Rename the file and it should upload.

Posted on: 12/14 22:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Owns1
See User information
Yep, finally figured that out...thanks.

Posted on: 12/14 22:33
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Owns1
See User information
It just happens I found for another car for sale that has the same type of battery set-up as mine. It is a 1929 Model 626 and still has the original style battery hold down and 2-screw cover. So I'm posting a couple of pictures for anyone else that might be asking my same question.

Cheers!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 12/21 10:26
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. A really nice looking and Packard appropriate box but I had never made the location connection to realize batteries were so exposed and vulnerable in those days. One of the Gus stories was about someone stealing his new battery and how he was able to get his car started and drive it to the garage without a battery in the car so battery theft must have at least happened on occasion. Wonder if theft was becoming an issue as the depression got deeper since in later years Packard went to lengths with the armored cable and battery inside the car or under the seat etc to prevent things from being able to be stolen as easily. Guess early batteries must have needed a learning curve or not have been a high priority.

Posted on: 12/21 10:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved