Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 201

39Rollson, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 356 CI Compression Ratio
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Avoid aluminum head. Even with modern corrosion inhibitors, Red Line Water Water or No-Rosion, they are trouble. What's ridiculous are the guys who then polish aluminum heads until they gleam, which reduces surface area and cooling efficacy.

As described, Packard already suggested what owners wanting a trace more oomph could do. Skip the cowboy crap, don't reinvent the wheel. Get the engine right, "factory standard."

Posted on: 1/10 2:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Quote:

su8overdrive wrote:
Avoid aluminum head. Even with modern corrosion inhibitors, Red Line Water Water or No-Rosion, they are trouble. What's ridiculous are the guys who then polish aluminum heads until they gleam, which reduces surface area and cooling efficacy.

As described, Packard already suggested what owners wanting a trace more oomph could do. Skip the cowboy crap, don't reinvent the wheel. Get the engine right, "factory standard."

They are like hens teeth. I asked about the compression ratio they provided as another data point as to what was run on the 356 in the past. Although the head looks flashy having dissimilar metals with different expansion rates joined together increases the chances of seal/gasket failures as well.

Anybody know what the CR was for these heads? I've not yet seen evidence that there were different Edmunds Packard heads for the 288/327/356/359 8 engines, just one. If so, that would give different CR for the different engines which doesn't make much sense. Anybody have information, or know what CR one got with it on the 356?

Posted on: 1/10 15:19
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I have found some iron heads from 22nd series and later -- at least three 288 heads, a 327 and a 356, plus one mystery HC head with no displacement indication. I assume HC is high compression, but oddly the combustion chamber is much deeper on this head. It also doesn't have the flat center ridge running front to back. Anybody have info on what this HC head is intended for?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Also, any way to distinguish a 327MT vs. 327AT head?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 1/30 13:57
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I think if you're trying to get a little more HP, this should do the trick.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard 8 with blower.JPG (64.97 KB)
226104_65b9978b168d5.jpg 505X651 px

Posted on: 1/30 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Drop a Cybertruck drivetrain in it

Posted on: 1/30 20:03
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:
I think if you're trying to get a little more HP, this should do the trick.

No need for a higher compression head with that big air pump on it. I don't think that will be much help with fuel economy.

Posted on: 1/31 0:24
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved