Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
260 user(s) are online (183 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 255

DaveJr, JD in KC, BigKev, Tobs, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vin Number Question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
So I was wondering about my vin number.

In case you didn't know already I have a 56 Patrician.

I was told it was above the water pump stamped on the top of the block.
It's one of the first things I posted about whn I first came to the forum.

So here's my question.

It should be two sets of four numbers correct?
The number I found originally was 5682-4487 which matches my door plate.

Well i'm short on cash and the car isn't going to be moving again yet, so I was degreasing my engine bay and just generally tidying up. The vin number got pretty dirty after a while so I went to clean it off again, but the catch is I found another four digit number stamped slightly at an angle above my vin.

What is this number!?

I will post a pic later when I have a computer availible, I belive it starts in 7 but will post the complete number with the pic. Oh and tv their proof if that will help.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 10:44
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Re: Vin Number Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
You may be looking at the Utica number. Both Packard engines and Ultramatic transmissions built at Utica had a unique serial number applied - independent of the vehicle serial number.

See this old post (and subsequent discussion) to help decode the Utica number prefix:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=451&forum=3&post_id=2795#forumpost2795

Sometimes the engine or transmission serial numbers are referenced as cut-off points in factory service bulletins and newsletter articles, which you can find through this site's Service Index feature.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 10:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I didntbhave a chance to get under the hood again yesterday, but hopefully I will today.

How many numbers does the Utica number contain?
Would my trans be stamped with the same numbers or were they matched numbers or were they matched pairs at all?

The reason I ask is I don't remember seeing any letter code with that number, and I'm still a little worried as to why my engine is red. (which I've posted about before) and know is definatly not a correct colour. However I can't find any other colour remnants under that paint. And it goes all the way back to the trans and even the trans oil pan is red.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Transmission numbers should have the same prefix letter as the engine but don't match numerically, though late cars tend to have higher numbers, ditto for engines. Both are generally a letter and four digits, but double alpha on the engine like AA means a standard shift engine. The prefix number should match the car line. I'll post a couple of pictures for you, the transmission # C 1104 is a Caribbean trans, the meaning of the second set of numbers and letters is unknown to me; might be factory but also might be marked by a later rebuilder.

The red engine color is a curiousity, but note that my spare 1956 Patrician engine (the one pictured) is also red with no evidence that it was repainted.

For 1956
A and AA are 5640
B and BB are 5660 and 5670
C is 5688 (no standard shift code for Caribbean)
D and DD are 5680.

I believe I'm correct when I say that the base# was 1001.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.15 KB)
177_4a142a2a242f7.jpg 1077X787 px

jpg  (41.16 KB)
177_4a142cd7e066b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/5/20 11:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have seen several red engines, but can offer no explanation. One fellow told me it was a marine engine as far as he knew??

Posted on: 2009/5/20 13:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Could be, though my red 56 engine came from a Patrician and had matching VN and motor numbers.

The Stokes conversions of Packard V8s for marine use were indeed red.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 14:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
55 clipper 320's were red. other than that, my guess would be a repaint to owners liking, or maybe a factory replacement engine, painted non standard color to tip off the severice personal that something had changed.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 18:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
maybe a factory replacement engine, painted non standard color to tip off the severice personal that something had changed.

I think there must another explanation, the engine in question matched the vehicle number and the Utica # was consistent. And internal parts are still OEM so I doubt it was pulled, rebuilt and painted. But just what the explanation might be, I don't know. Some factory replacement engines in the 4-1/8 bore were accidently painted incorrectly, there is a TSB to that effect.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 19:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is a '55 STB that talks about engine colors on the '55 models and how some were mispainted. Not sure it applied in this case, but good for future reference.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/55T-33.pdf

Posted on: 2009/5/20 20:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I sort of forgot about this thread, it was the Utica # beginning with D. The "D" portion of it was pretty covered. I was worried about it because with it covered up like that it looked as though someone had stamped the block to Mach the body vin. But this wasn't the case and looks like everything matches up.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll also be posting the vin, theif proof, and Utica later as well as updating my registry.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 10:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved