Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1954 359 Timing Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Trying to set the ignition timing. This engine looks nothing like the illustration on page 21 of the electrical section of the '51-'54 shop manual. I don't see any pointer for the timing marks on the pulley. If someone could let me know which distributor cap terminal fires the number one spark plug, that would be very helpful. Thanks.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  20240128_172225_compress65.jpg (797.00 KB)
1814_65b819f556d4c.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 1/29 16:39
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 359 Timing Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information

Posted on: 1/29 16:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be a pointer assy that is fastened over the damper by a couple of the same bolts that holds the timing chain cover. Pointer shape varied a bit by year but as I recall those used after 51 in the 288/327/359 block family are fairly similar.

If the instructions given in the SM for an oil pump installation were followed then if damper is positioned per the instructions the distributor #1 plug wire will wind up in approximately the 7:00 o'clock position. A tooth off will vary it a bit but should still be OK. Any more than that could result in the wire being off a hole or distributor needing to be rotated somewhere the vacuum advance assy or the vacuum tube going to it will interfere with dist body rotation needed for proper timing.

Attach file:

jpg  oil pump.jpg (676.71 KB)
209_65b8217bcedbb.jpg 2290X1356 px

jpg  wire position.jpg (178.75 KB)
209_65b82190abc1b.jpg 1312X858 px

Posted on: 1/29 17:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Looks like your pointer is missing as Howard suggested.

Posted on: 1/29 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
This is what the pointer looks like on my 53 Cavalier.

Posted on: 1/29 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Thanks Howard, 53 Cavalier and Packard Don for your responses. The Ross Miller video and the photo from 53 Cavalier were most helpful. As I thought and Packard Don surmised, the pointer is missing. I will have to employ Ross's penny trick to confirm when #1 is at TDC and see where the distributor rotor points and set the spark plug wires accordingly. I had seen the diagram that Howard provided, but it didn't show enough reference points to clarify where #1 wire should go. It shows the primary circuit wire coming out of the distributor at the 1 o'clock position. In reality it's closer to the 3 o'clock position and there's no indication of where the hold-down clamp tabs and the vacuum advance are located, so the correct orientation of the plug wires is undetermined. In Ross's video it appears that #1 is at terminal "D" in my diagram, so Howard's diagram might be correct after all. Thanks again.

Posted on: 1/30 1:30
Don Shields
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
#1 should be around the 7 o'clock position on the distributor when you are looking at it. That can vary a little bit, but that's a good general starting location. Vacuum advance around the 9 o'clock position, give or take a bit.

You will for sure need to get the correct pointer installed. I don't think you'll be able to get timing dialed in without it.

Posted on: 1/30 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
A couple of things I learned that may be helpful.

The locking plate for the distributor may need adjustment, which you can do by loosening this bolt, which is not very visible. I also replaced bushings in my distributor.

The distributor can only go in two different places, and one is out 180 degrees. If #1 is at 9 o'clock instead of 7 o'clock I believe your oil pump gear is off by one tooth. You should still be okay to get it running, but your vacuum advance may not fit in place very well.

If you're vacuum advance has been replaced there is a chance it may not be correct. This is the correct one.

Posted on: 1/30 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Thanks, kevinpackard. In the Ross Miller video, that's where #1 was. Once I get #1 at TDC I can see if the oil pump-distributor drive is correctly indexed and then go from there.

Posted on: 2/1 14:30
Don Shields
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
53 Cavalier, I'm very familiar with that screw. It's very difficult to loosen since I'm bending over the fender, reaching down and it's not visible without placing a mirror underneath. I've replaced the screw with a threaded rod inside a spacer tube to bring it out where it's visible. I have set the plate at 0 thinking that would be a good place to start.

I was getting a vacuum reading just barely into the normal zone, dipping sometimes into the low zone. I suspected the vacuum advance might be perforated, so I ordered a replacement from Max Merritt. The Merritt advance matched the existing one perfectly. Thanks again for all your help.

Posted on: 2/1 14:55
Don Shields
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved