Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: R11 stuck in gear šŸ˜­
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
This is exactly what Iā€™ll be trying in the morning and reply with the results. Question, would lifting the rear end help things ā€œloosen upā€ more easily?

Posted on: 2/8 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Yes rear wheels off the ground would help determine whether the transmission is free. Service and parking brakes should be off. If you have a helper to depress the clutch, you might try rolling the wheels. Depending on progress/results you may consider removing the drive shaft. Have you read the caution about OD stuck engaged and trying to back-up?

Posted on: 2/8 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The one with the larger shaft diameter is for the Custom 8 356 engine which has a different clutch disc and pilot bearing.
The smaller one is for the 288 and 327 engines but the cover plate that is with it appears to be incorrect with only 4 mounting bolts instead of 6.

Posted on: 2/8 22:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Correct, the larger is for the 356 only but I see six holes in the cover so maybe the angle of the photo hid a couple.

Posted on: 2/9 2:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I was referring to the cover on the smaller shaft which still appears to be incorrect, wrong shape, inside diameter too big for the shaft and has a non-Packard part number on it.

Posted on: 2/9 4:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That could be but the numbers on parts are not necessarily part numbers either. In some cases they are casting or lot numbers. Youā€™re right, though. It definitely has only 4 holes which isnā€™t Packard. All of mine back to 1940 had 6 holes.

Posted on: 2/9 12:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
And youā€™re saying that I couldnā€™t just replace the shaft itself and be right to go?

Posted on: 2/9 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Well, yes and no. You could do that but to change tt you would need to first drop the cluster gear which has many tiny roller bearings that require a special tool to keep in place. Also, as itā€™s already partially apart, it needs new gadgets (Olsonā€™s Gaskets has them) and a new seal kit (Max Merrett carries those). You should also check the synchros while youā€™re at it and, of course, this is also the time to thoroughly clean out all the crud and put in new gear oil.

Note that the seal kits do not include the several copper washers needed under certain bolts such as those on the six front plate. There are also a couple housing bolts that require copper washers.

Posted on: 2/9 23:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved