Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 172

Tom (Packin31), moodydavid16, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 200 Business Coupe Blower Motor Replacements
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
Has anyone identified equivalent or substitute motors?

2-5/16" stud spacing (fixed)
5/16" shaft diameter (can use 1/4" with adapter)
1-1/2" shaft length (can use approximately 1-1/4" to 1-3/4")

6-volt

I think 12V may draw too much current. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2/18 21:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 200 Business Coupe Blower Motor Replacements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's the same motor for all 1951-1954 Packards so should be easy to find a good used or maybe even NOS one. I don't know offhand of any modern replacements.

Posted on: 2/18 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kunzea wrote:
Has anyone identified equivalent or substitute motors?

2-5/16" stud spacing (fixed)
5/16" shaft diameter (can use 1/4" with adapter)
1-1/2" shaft length (can use approximately 1-1/4" to 1-3/4")

6-volt

I think 12V may draw too much current. Thoughts?

Not an electrician, but I think a 12v motor will run slow and will overheat.

Posted on: 2/18 21:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For a new 6v motor your options are very limited because 6v automotive motors are almost extinct. 12v motors of various types are plentiful and most of those have 5/16 shafts but you would need a voltage conversion to use it. As a rule, 12v motors of identical size and type as a 6v will pull less amps. Simple 12v 2 wire motors used on 6v will run half as fast since it would almost be like running thru a resistor speed control switch set at low speed. You may be able to find a Packard motor on ebay and since there have been many 12v conversions by forum members, some of those guys may have one laying in their garage. Gerry at Packards Southwest or Tucson Packards may also have one.

If you cannot find a Packard motor, there is a universal motor sold by the Ford and Chevy vendors that will work. Most sell the same motor but prices do vary. It does not have the same look as the stock motor and using it may require a slight elongation of the mounting holes in the housing cover plate and the shaft adapter if you need a 5/16 shaft. Most heater blower wheels of that era used 1/4 shafts with AC blowers being slightly larger and more powerful having the 5/16 shaft.

If you do go with the modern universal motor, it is a permanent magnet motor so polarity controls the rotation direction. You will need to hook it up so the rotation is correct for your wheel which is as simple as trying both combinations and then connecting the correct wires to ground and power. Unlike the stock field coil motors, an accidental battery polarity reversal will cause the permanent magnet types to run backwards.

https://www.classicparts.com/1947-54-Heater-Motor-6-Volt/productinfo/68-005/

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/cars/heater-amp-ac/heater-motor/21a-18527-heater-motor-6-volt-universal

Posted on: 2/18 22:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
A permanent magnet motor might be less sensitive to low supply voltage, since low voltage would not affect field strength.

Posted on: 2/19 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
IMHO, this all sounds too complicated. I would find a good used blower motor, clean it up and install it. Original and correct.

If you need one I can connect you with some guys that have a bunch early/mid 50's parts cars.

Posted on: 2/19 10:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Yes; there is. I just put one in my 23rd series. It fits perfect. It is reversible. I purchased mine through joe's antique auto parts for $50>00. www.joesantiqueauto.com The only minor issue is the mounting bolts are a smaller diameter than the Packard. I just found a couple of washers the right diameter for the bolt and tacked them in place on the ring before replacing the rubber vibration grommets. The shaft is 1/4, but it comes with a shaft sleeve to make it 5/16.

P.S. There is only one 6v motor out there. It is made in Canada. I found this same motor marketed for a Ford, Chevy, Jeep, from $50.00 to $130.00

Dave O

Posted on: 2/27 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
Thanks for your input. I looked at both links. The Dennis Carpenter link identified "Ford Truck F100/750 6 Volt 1948-55". I went to the O'Reilly's website and looked for 1955 F100 blower motor. They have the "Murray Climate Control Blower Motor - 35512" for $50.99. I purchased it with overnight delivery and installed it. Perfect fit.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/murray-climate-control/lighting---electrical/motors---actuators/blower-motor/0da7cd2eedaa/murray-climate-control-blower-motor/mry0/35512/v/a/138261/automotive-truck-1955-ford-f-100?q=blower+motor&pos=0

Posted on: 2/28 19:03
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved