Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'37 120C running loud
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Now that I have my electrical issue solved, I've managed to get my engine to fire up and actually drive my 120C around the block. Ever since I reassembled the car with the new exhaust system, the engine noise has been quite loud. I've replaced the exhaust gasket (the metal one) and checked to see that everything else is tight but to no avail. I contacted the company that supplied the new exhaust system and they said that what I ordered was the correct one. I've ridden in '37 120s before and they are not that loud. My only other idea might be that the replacement exhaust system was the incorrect one for my car regardless of what the company said. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what else it might be??
Thanks again for your help. The information concerning the voltage regulator proved immeasurable.

Posted on: 2/24 15:13
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: '37 120C running loud
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Does the new system have 2 mufflers? It should have 2 mufflers and is otherwise very straightforward.

I don't think anything else would fit, unless it was a 115. If it makes exhaust noise, it is probably leaking somewhere, or the manifold is cracked or has gasket problems.
The pipe should have a hanger back around the bell housing, and I think there is one more behind the mufflers, and one at the back just behind the gas tank.
If the pipe or mufflers touch the frame, it can cause rattles or rumbling sounds. Sometimes pipes and hangers have to be adjusted to get clearance at all running temperatures and when the engine is loaded, which can cause the exhaust system to move into contact with the frame.
The manifold heat valve shaft can leak, and the exhaust manifold has gaskets at the pipe attachment, at the cylinder block, and between the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Posted on: 2/24 16:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks. My system has one muffler, but I'll take your other suggestions and work on them tomorrow.

Posted on: 2/24 16:52
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I am a bit of a weird case as I have a 327 in mine with 2 1/4" diameter pipe, so not at all stock.
However I only have 1 muffler, no resonator, and it is NOT loud. It is smooth and quiet.
I had a muffler made for mine based on the specs from a '53 spec sheet.
For reference I have included the drawing.
I think you would need smaller diameter pipe, but the muffler itself will fit fine otherwise, as I use the stock hanging points on the chassis.
Good luck.
Bob J.

Attach file:

pdf Muffler.PDF Size: 216.92 KB; Hits: 87

Posted on: 2/24 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks. This will go into my notes binder.

Posted on: 2/24 18:13
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The "main" muffler on my '37 looks like the one in the drawing. The secondary muffler is very similar, but shorter, and the tail pipe is smaller than the header pipe. There are pictures and text about the 120 exhaust in some of the advertising material on this site. The dual mufflers may have been new in '36 or '37.

Posted on: 2/24 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My parts car 1954 Patrician has a second small muffler but that was the first of countless Packards I've owned that ever had it! None of my prewar Packards did including two that were low mileage and probably stock so I would be interested in any consensus that the second was done in fact or just in documents.

Posted on: 2/24 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Read the information straight from Packard on this site.

Posted on: 2/24 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think that was my point. The information from Packard might not match what actually went onto the cars. I don't know that it did or didn't but was just mentioning a possibility.

Posted on: 2/24 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The dual muffler arrangement debuted in 1937 on both the 110 and 120.

Posted on: 2/24 20:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved