Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

todd landis, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Body Mounts
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
I see your car has replacement rocker panels. Whilst welding, I suggest you weld them on. That will add a lot of rigidity to the car.

Oh, and that should be solid metal under those rear mounts. A large fender washer will suffice.

Yes, it does have replacement rockers, they are wrapped around and then screwed on and some body filler to blend them into the car. They are going to come off one day so I can repair the inner rockers and I have a new set of outers that came with a parts car I bought last year. My car has a few questionable repairs like these rockers, which eventually will all get fixed.

I'm not sure what you mean that there should be "solid metal under those mounts". Can you explain where you're referring too? This picture shows what was on #5.

Attach file:

jpg  20240310_170650_resized_1.jpg (801.27 KB)
226104_66019331059df.jpg 2016X1512 px

Posted on: 3/25 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
I don't know if yours would be the same, but mine had a plate over top of the actual body that needed replaced. so essentially two layers. It is the middle pc. in the image
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/25 10:53
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Yes, mine is the same. I was a bit confused as to what was going on until I'll took everything apart. That top piece ties into the bottom of the C pillar, presumably to provide some additional support. Part of what confused me was that it has a large hole and was not being held down by the bolt for the mount. Maybe has something to do with assembly, but I think I'll put a big washer and clamp it all down.

On the passenger side there was enough corrosion that I was concerned about getting it secure, so I made an additional little gusset like the one on the wheel house. I think I'll do the same on the driver side.

Posted on: 3/25 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I'm curious, does anyone know the reason that the inside mounts at positions 2, 3 & 4 are not bolted down to the frame? 53 Cavalier

Also is there supposed to be a gasket of sorts under the bracket for the gas pedal? Seems like there were remnants under mine, but maybe the matting goes under the bracket?? 🤔
Click to see original Image in a new window

Making progress on my floor pan. Should be able to do seam sealer and paint tomorrow. 👍🏻

Posted on: 3/29 16:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since the parts book calls for a full complement of bolts, if you have some missing I would wonder if someone has lifted that 53 body before and maybe got lazy or was working with a flat rate number and was in a timecrunch hurry. Any signs of an accident that could have required the body to be lifted? I suppose it is possible they were left off at the factory but seems unlikely.

Don't recall looking that closely when I did the 54 but except for the wraparound windshield the rest of the 56 body is essentially the same as the 53 and that one has bolts in all locations parts book called for.

Posted on: 3/29 16:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
What I find curious is there are not even holes in the floor Pan for bolts at these locations. Nor were there rubber mounts at these locations, which I kind of assumed they had just fallen out, but maybe they were never even there. There is absolutely no indication that this car has been in an accident, and everything on this car appears to be factory, even the seam sealer. The people that owned it from the early 60s to the early 80s said they did no body work or engine work to the car. Now I'm not sure if this is something that was made this way intentionally, or if it was something that was missed at the factory?

Posted on: 3/29 17:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I'll bet Ross knows! 🙂

Posted on: 3/29 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 1954 Patrician that I am disassembling also had those missing which I thought interesting at the time. I'll try to remember to take another look tomorrow to see if all of the same ones are missing.

Posted on: 3/29 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I'm a little slow, so I didn't even think of checking my parts car, which is a 53 patrician, and it does not have bolts in these locations either. I don't think they are missing at all, it is just not supposed to be bolted to the frame in these places.

Mine had rubber cushions on inner number 2, but not inners number 3 and 4. I think I'm going to put cushions there anyways, because I'm guessing they just fell out?

Posted on: 3/29 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The basic floor pan stamping served every car in the lineup. It was extended 5" by the filler strip to make the 127" WB cars. On a convertible or a hardtop those indentations would have bolts down to the frame through the normal rubber pads on the hardtop, and through steel shims on the Conv.

Oddly enough in 54 and up, the cheapest clippers got fewer outriggers then the more expensive clippers did. I can't notice the difference in driving. If I recall, all Torsion Level cars got a full compliment of body mounts.

Posted on: 3/29 20:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved