Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion Levelling
Just popping in
Just popping in

56Packard
See User information
This thing gave me fits, finally found a NOS compensator and replaced and was able to get the car to rise and lower front and back but it would porpoise every few hundred feet, front all the way up then all then way down, was like my own roller coaster.

So got creative and fabricated some limit switches into a bracket and used the post off the drivers torsion rod to actuate them. Worked but had too much range.

So took another look at the suspension and found the bushing/rod/ whatever its called missing from the rear bracket. Its only 3/4 thick so about 3/8 inch difference. I said no way thats going to make a difference but had little to lose by finding a replacement and installing it.
Voila, made a huge difference. Havent had a lot of time on it but initial ride was much better. Working on adding a 10lb residual on the brake lines then can get back on this.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/26 19:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion Levelling
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Your links are giving a server attack warning!

Posted on: 2/26 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
All of your pictures are giving not found errors, so this is based on the text.

I assume that your pictures include the compensator you installed and the compensator control/delay switch. I hope you can get them to load so we can see.

What is the time of the porpoise cycle? Is there a delay between cycles or is it constant? The compensator control/delay switch is supposed to provide about a seven second delay to allow for changing conditions.

The 56 compensator gear box has limit switches in it and if it is going all the way up and down, they would seem to be working. The 55 compensator has external limit switches.

How did you wire your limit switches?

Does the car have the manual level switch under the dash?

What happens when the car is parked, does it sit with the front down/rear up, does it level, or does it porpoise?

It sounds like it is not able to identify level. That is a function of the compensator control/delay switch.

Pictures and more information will help.

Posted on: 2/27 2:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, 404 not found errors but if you look in the browser’s status bar, it shows server attack errors so the 404 is bogus. Rather, it is a created page rather than one generated by the server and the error is somehow pulling it up by redirecting to a page that doen’t exist.

Posted on: 2/27 2:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved