Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

5" Air Duct Tubes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Having much difficulty locating the cloth 5" duct that brings fresh air in 55-56 Packards through engine compartment! Leads appreciated!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/5/21 23:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 5" Air Duct Tubes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
JC Whitney. No, really.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 23:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So Cal PI chapter sell them. I bought some for my '54. They are perfect fit, and look great. They were not that expensive either.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 0:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
IIRC, the wire-reinforced duct hose that JC Whitney sells is covered with rubber rather than the coated fabric of the original.

While rubber sounds like it would be more durable, I've seen where the heat of the engine bay cuases the rubber hose to sag noticeably. So, if you go that route, you might have to use some sort of internal support to shore it up.

I don't have my notes handy, but another problem I heard was than the Whitney hose is not available in the correct diameter for these cards - that Packard used an odd (fractional?) size.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The correct material is (at least was) also available from Max Merritt. Bought mine about 9 years ago, not inexpensive.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks Big Kev for PI So. California tip. I've called them and should have the necessary ducting soon. I also tried JC Whitney (on-line) without success. Before all this I had attempted to purchase the ducting locally, and I could have been the proud owner of a 6' long section of black vinyl (with nylon ribbing inserted internally)at the cost of $56 without the 8.1 tax but I passed. My other concern was what Brian wrote about the heat sagging the product. The sun and extra heat in So. Ariz can be very tough on most petroleum based products.

Kevin
Tucson

Posted on: 2009/5/27 9:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Kev,

How much was the PI Tubing? I cant remember what I paid for it at the SwapMeet several years ago?

Posted on: 2009/5/27 14:19
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Kev,

Before I tell you how much; let me first tell you about Packards International, from whom I made the 'purchase'! They are the Packard club that is headquartered in California and they are a fine bunch of people who are always ready to help us Packard owners. I called the PI office as you suggested and I was referred to a fellow from the club who handles the 5" air-duct material. Well that was late last week & today a box arrived her at the house with my duct. Also inside the box was a bill. Yup, PI just sent me the product first and now I'll send them their remittance. It's truly a pleasure doing business with them.

$18 for duct plus shipping of $6.

Kevin

Posted on: 2009/6/1 20:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is interesting--both the service and the price. I received the latest 55-6 catalog from a major vendor yesterday and the price is $23 per foot.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 20:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have found that the PI Chapter projects are high quality and the prices are very reasonable. I am glad to hear they gave you good service!

Posted on: 2009/6/1 22:17
-BigKev

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved