Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 front shockers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ronn
See User information
Hi There I have un even front shockers on my 49 club sedan
The right side works extremely efficient however the left side is distinctly not so firm is there any adjustments or is it purely hydraulic oil as to how it works I can see where I can top it up but I can see some other plug looking bolts on the side.
Is there a way of draining the oil so I can top it up with new oil?

Posted on: 3/31 5:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 front shockers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The left side has probably lost some oil over the years, so the simplest thing is just to top it up. Do that through the small plug on the top. Get some hydraulic jack oil and put it in a pump oiler and squirt it in. Bounce the car a few times to work bubbles out and continue. There is no need to replace the old oil.

If that doesn't firm it up, or the oil leaks out around the arm, then you will need to send them off for rebuilding.

Posted on: 3/31 6:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ronn
See User information
Ok great thanks I will give that a try Im hoping that the fact that it's not to oily around the shocker or chassis means that the seals are still good....fingers crossed 🤞

Posted on: 4/1 5:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a How-Yo article in the literature archive on one posters success in rebuilding his shocks. I don't know how Australia is fixed for shops that would want to work on them but if you are handy it might be something you could do and would save a whole lot of freight charges. At the least, even if you don't want to try a rebuild the article gives a good idea of how they work internally and what could be happening.

Posted on: 4/1 9:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved