Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Is There a Source of Supply for Lead Washers?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
My Series 526 Packard uses lead washers on wheel studs to allow the wheels to be statically balanced. I'm guessing all Packards of the 1920s (and probably early 1930s) used them. Is there a current source of supply?
Thanks.

Posted on: 4/5 22:20
Phil
 Top  Print   

Re: Is There a Source of Supply for Lead Washers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Melt down some old batteries and make your own?

I'm not familiar with these cars. How are they used for balancing?

Posted on: 4/6 6:41
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure exactly what size you need, but I know John Deere sells them for old tractors as they were used on engine head bolts to seal them.

Also, if you really can't find what you are looking for, you can buy lead roof flashing, and the use a hole punch set to make your own.

Posted on: 4/6 7:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
One place that may have what you're looking for.

https://www.nuclead.com/leadwashers/

Posted on: 4/6 13:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
Humanpotatohybrid: In the 1920s and 1930s many makes included wheel balancing weights. My Packard has disk wheels, so the weight units are not visible. Here is a Dunlop wire wheel showing one of the units. There are three units on this wheel, each filled with lead washers. The Packards of the period had six units per wheel.

One balances the wheel by spinning it, letting it come to rest, finding the heavy spot , and adjusting the balance by moving lead washers appropriately. A balanced wheel will come to rest in a random position. For speeds typical of cars of the 1920 and early 1930s, that works fine. Of course the wheel must spin freely. The advantage is that both the wheel and the brake drum are balanced. I remember cars being statically balanced well into the 1959s.

Big Kev; Thanks for the tractor lead. I will probably go that way. The ID is too small, but I can buy the washers and pick up on Humanpotatohybrid’s suggestion by using the washers as templates and adding solder or lead to adjust the inner diameter.

32model901, thanks for the suggestion. I found several sites like nuclead. I’m going to contact them, but I bet they will give me a quote for 1000 or more. Worth a try. If I spin my story of an old car’s requirements, who knows? Anyway, thanks for the input.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/7 19:14
Phil
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved