Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

Packwagon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wanted: Dial-Gearshift Indicator (23rd Series)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Hey all - wondering if anyone has a dial for the gearshift indicator on a 23rd series car. Group 3.30883, part 421707, would fit Ultramatic-equipped cars 2301-02-06-32-33. As you can see (in addition to the grand canyon of cracks on the steering), my plastic dial is all scuffed up. Wasn't sure if people just remake their own, or if it's supposed to be glass, or what. Would love to get something clear in there, though. Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  20240406_125247.jpg (2,380.13 KB)
225648_661184c517419.jpg 4000X3000 px

Posted on: 4/6 12:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Wanted: Dial-Gearshift Indicator (23rd Series)
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Have you tried using a fine abrasive polish, such as sold for use on polycarbonate headlight lenses?

Posted on: 4/6 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
If you do not want to do it yourself, body shops are well equipped to polish up polycarbonate now. All new cars have polycarbonate headlight lenses and they regularly bring them back from dull yellow to clear bright with a series of polishes. They would make quick work of the lens on your quadrant.
Have fun,
Bob J.

Posted on: 4/6 20:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
That is super helpful - didn't know this was a possibility. I'll give it a shot. Thanks, guys!

Posted on: 4/6 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Your shift indicator cover is acrylic but the same polish should work

Posted on: 4/7 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
I've used Crest toothpaste to successfully clean up scratched / hazed over plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXHTXdlWw1w

Part's stores such as Autozone carry a product that works well also.

Meguiar's PlastX

Posted on: 4/7 9:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if the Ultramatic indicator piece carried on with the Flite-Glo instrument lighting theme since the owners manual says it is illuminated any time the ign switch is on. If so and it still glows, the paint in the letters may be cracked and barely hanging on. Just like the instruments, when you disassemble to polish the indicator try to protect the paint on the pointer and take care with the paint in the letters on back of the plastic. If the paint is damaged or chunks fall off the pointer or letters they will become splotchy or not glow at all.

Posted on: 4/7 10:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
I ended up finding a Meguiars clear plastic cleaner at O'Reilly. It wasn't the exact product I was looking for, but it definitely made a huge difference! The bottle recommends a polish - I'll look for next.

No flite glo on the letters. The arrow might have been at some point. The setup is similar to the accessory swich labels where there is a bulb behind a green strip of translucent plastic to color the light. I haven't been able to figure out the little tin shroud to keep the plain incandescent color from bleeding through.

Attach file:

jpg  20240408_205408.jpg (2,679.73 KB)
225648_66149ab81f0af.jpg 4000X3000 px

Posted on: 4/8 20:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved