Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Light Bulb Designation, Vendors that Sell
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, I didn’t say that there were individual wires for each taillight. I said simply that the dual element bulbs could be used as turn signals so sorry for the confusion.

Posted on: 4/13 13:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Howard, I didn’t say that there were individual wires for each taillight. I said simply that the dual element bulbs could be used as turn signals so sorry for the confusion.

They definitely can if you have the proper items and circuitry before the bulbs to separate the functions but without separate switches or a multi function single switch like Packard waited until the 23rd series to use -- or maybe blocking diodes in some type arrangement to steer one of the signals when the other is needed -- I don't see how they could in the rear prior to 49. Selenium diodes were all that was available then and those were large, bulky and fairly expensive so I doubt if they would have been used. Again, the cheapest and least disruptive to what was already used or was common to other models without signals was a second bulb in the optional turn signal equipped cars.

Posted on: 4/13 14:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The turn signal switch I used, which was also self-canceling, handled all that without the need of diodes simply by its contact arrangement. That's exactly how it was done on later cars including Packards which did not use diodes so no reason that an earlier car would need them with the proper switch. It took all of an hour to wire it in and have working turn signals that doubled as brake lights! That same car turned up recently on Facebook Marketplace with the switch still in it and the same tires I put on it from JC Whitney as a teenager in the '60s.

Posted on: 4/13 18:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My comments about how the extra rear bulb is needed are strictly referring to how the factory chose to do the original turn signal option. You specified the "proper switch" and I agree. If you want to get an aftermarket turn signal setup absolutely the same bulb can be used and many people made add on turn signal switches starting in the 40s and still do. Some of them even had a mechanical cancelling function like yours using the roller against the wheel to operate a mechanism inside the enclosure similar to the factory original setup but most did not. A couple of units made today look a bit like the older switches but both then and now all the aftermarket setups needed different wiring than stock. To use the same bulb requires modifications to the original circuit to be made and there doesn't seem to be a standard circuit with the same colors working for all. Once the aftermarket setups are installed, unless their wiring diagrams are still available to see what was done trying to use the original factory wiring diagrams in tracing a problem will be of little use.

Posted on: 4/13 18:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
As a rookie Packard owner, I, too, have been looking for sources for the light bulbs (aka lamps) for my '49. I found that the GE/Mazda numbers referred to the "Mazda" line of lamps from GE, and had nothing to do with the auto maker of the same name. Further investigation revealed that finding these 6-volt bulbs is difficult, and, when you do, it's expensive. I thought I was "stuck" paying $2-4 for each bulb.

Until now.

I found a supplier in Florida that sells NOS bulbs, referenced by the Mazda numbers, and they sell for $0.29-0.75 each!

It's called BulbTown, and the man to talk to is QUINN. His phone number is (470) 825-2977. He has all but 1 or 2 of the ones used on my Packard.

I bought enough bulbs to last 10 years.

Hope this helps someone!

Posted on: 4/24 14:18
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Anytime my local Napa doesn't have the correct bulbs, I usually can find them on either Amazon or Ebay.

Posted on: 4/24 16:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Anytime my local Napa doesn't have the correct bulbs, I usually can find them on either Amazon or Ebay.

My Napa couldn't get them. Nor could any of the other parts houses in the Tulsa area. Most prices online I found were noticeably higher.

Posted on: 4/24 17:32
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved