Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sparkplug Install
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Embarrassing admission:
Ran into an issue I have not ever experienced before. Had bad missing occurring in the engine and got her running long enough to get the hood open. There was blow-by coming out and around of a number of sparkplugs! I had not tightened the plugs in tight enough!
With the blow-by carbon also reduced the ground and fouled the plug further. I took them all out, cleaned them up, then replaced them doing the final tightening with a torque wrench. All good now.
As an experiment I tightened them to what I felt was 30 ft/lbs on the socket wrench (25-35 ft/lb spec range on a 14mm plug) and found that I was actually around 20 ft/lbs. I expect the metal ring gasket is what fooled me, it took a few arcs of the torque wrench to crush that seal down and start gaining torque. I am always afraid of over-tightening as you can change the gap and worse, break the porcelain (I think the lower torque let them loosen themselves out after a bit of driving, as there was no issue upon first driving the fresh re-build.)
Just thought I would share to help those also not as used to these style plugs.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  sparkplugs.JPG (141.75 KB)
225215_6628053c615d5.jpg 455X579 px

Posted on: 4/23 14:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Sparkplug Install
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The area of the head around the threads where the plug gaskets seat needs to be clean metal. You don't want to completely crush the gaskets, but the plugs do need to be tightened firmly. Having the seating area clean will assure proper heat transfer from the plug to the head and should eliminate any leaks.
Over-tightening the plugs is to be avoided. The tiny plugs (10 MM?)used on the pre-war cars need hand tightening with a short wrench only.

Posted on: 4/23 17:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps you'll find this useful, from a vintage AC spark plug catalog.

Attach file:

jpg  spark plug torque.jpg (78.47 KB)
177_66295d9bc7733.jpg 500X338 px

Posted on: 4/24 14:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Printed and up on the shop wall! Thanks!
Found some more information too in my brother's trade school book under 'Installing Plugs':
"If a torque wrench is not available, run plugs up until the gasket is just contacted (new gasket). Give the plug 1/2 to 3/4 turn beyond this point"
Have fun!
Bob J.

Posted on: 4/24 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
If a torque wrench is not available, run plugs up until the gasket is just contacted (new gasket). Give the plug 1/2 to 3/4 turn beyond this point

That's more or less what I've always done and, of course, it is necessary to use a new gasket.

Posted on: 4/24 17:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved