Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Steering Box Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
I am just completing the rebuild of a steering box for my39. Bought a rebuild kit from Max Merritt, all went "OK". Have it back together on the bench, and despite adjusting the gear back pressure screw, seems it has some free play. In thinking about the assembly, I do not see how the two main roller bearings on the worm gear get preloaded. There are no shims and even if there was, they cannot rely on that thin steel cover plate. How is the preload adjusted? Only shims are the ones for the pitman arm shaft and that is actually controlled by the adjustment screw.

Posted on: 4/30 10:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Steering Box Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Preload of the worm bearings is controlled by shims at that lower plate. I know on the later cars the shim pack doubles as the gasket for the plate; the gasket is made of multiple thin plies that one may remove as necessary. 39 I don't know, but the shim may just be a ring of paper or steel that is placed in the end of the housing bore before the cover is installed. They need to have a right fair preload on them that is noticeable when turning the shaft by hand.

Another source of play in high mileage cars is the sector gear moving in the sector as those thrust bearings have worn. That will take some creative disassembly and shimming if that is the case.

Posted on: 4/30 11:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
They used gaskets as shims? Explains why there were 4 on that plate, thanks! This is actually a box I bought online to replace the steering shaft on mine as the threads are munged up. Sector gear and worm gear look almost new. Did buy a rebuild kit that replaces the two roller bearings and the two bronze sleeves for the pitman arm. couldn't find much on the oil other than an embossment on the fill cap saying use very heavy oil! Packed with wheel grease, good or bad?

Posted on: 4/30 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Is that the one you bought from me a few years back? If so, it hadn’t seen use since maybe the ‘50s so glad to hear it was not worn much.

Posted on: 4/30 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Yes Don, that's the one. The pitman / sector shaft bushings were quite worn but gears look very good. Wasn't and oil/grease in it except remnants of old stuff.

Posted on: 5/2 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not surprised there was no oil as I had drained in back in the ‘60s. Having brought it down from Oregon with me as checked baggage (that was fun!), it was important that it be empty.

Posted on: 5/2 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Well, that makes me feel better!! All new seals and gaskets now, install starts in a couple of weeks. Seems solid, see no excessive slop in wheel. Thanks again

Can't even imagine the "fun" you had with this as luggage!

Posted on: 5/3 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The agent when I checked it at the Redmond/Bend Oregon airport said it was a first for her! No surprise there and it actually WAS fun trying to work out the logistics to pack it appropriately and to make it easy to take along with my suitcase. A bit too heavy and awkward to simply carry so I found a way to add wheels in order to get it into the terminal there and out to the car in San José from the terminal on that end of the trip. Anyway, glad to hear it will be put to good use after having had it for all those decades.

Posted on: 5/4 2:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved