Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Changing Heads on 56 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I will be putting new heads on a 56 400 this weekend. 352 V-8. Any advice? The heater core box looks to be a bit of a pain to work around. I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks gentlemen.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 10:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Changing Heads on 56 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you read the shop manual? It gives a step-by-step including the notation that you must remove the heater. Relatively easy to remove though you'll almost certainly find that you'll need a new rubber gasket between it and the cowl.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
One thing not mentioned in the shop manual is that you will need two big guys to lift off one head. I prefer to use a "cherry picker" (engine hoist) instead.

Also, you should have a 374CID not 352CID engine. Once the heads are off you can tell by the bore size.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/5/29 11:16
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps Randy Berger will chime in here, as I recall he built a simple but elegant ramp system to get the heads in and out, and as I recall he has pictures. They don't match a Mopar Hemi for weight, but they are surely heavy!

Posted on: 2009/5/29 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The heater box prohibits R&R of the rear most head bolt that paasses thru the rear most rocker shaft perch.

My advice to use a cherry picker, small block and tackle or prefer a differential hoist. Of course that means removal of the hood.
The head weighs 70 pounds BARE. Probably about 85 pounds fully dressed.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 12:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Back in the day, my dad used to lift 'em off by hand, after making a couple of tee handles out of some bolts that fit threaded holes in the head (perhaps with the rocker shafts removed?). He still has those handles somewhere in one of the old tool boxes.

IIRC, Randy Berger made a couple of straps, from flat bar stock, that would allow you to do same.

I think I'd spare straining my back and make a fixture that would let a cherry picker lift 'em off and set 'em back on, but hold them at the proper angle. Of course, I have three cars and a few used engines to deal with.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Good advice above. A cherry picker makes life easier, but with a moving blanket across the hood, two strong guys can get one in place by the armstrong method. The technical paper says a bare head weighs 64# and a little more than 70# with springs/valves/retainers. Not necessary to add the rockers till it is in place on the head.

Be sure to watch the locating dowel sleeves both on the head/block and the head/rocker shaft stands. All too often, they aren't started straight, get pinched, mess up rocker shaft alignment and torque. I've even see a few engines with them missing entirely.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/5/29 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I apologize, the vehicle is 55 400. The heads i have are rebuilt off of my 55 Clipper 352. Is this gonna work?

Posted on: 2009/5/29 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I apologize, the vehicle is 55 400. The heads i have are rebuilt off of my 55 Clipper 352. Is this gonna work?

<p>1955 Clipper engines were 320CID. But, yes, it will work.</p>
<p>What is wrong with the heads on your 400 engine? Did you have hardened exhaust seats installed on the rebuilt heads?
</p>
<p>
Craig
</p>

Posted on: 2009/5/29 16:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Good point about the hardened valve seats. I wouldn't install a set of heads that hadn't had those installed. In any case I did it myself without a cherry picker and I am a little fellow not given to strongarming anything. I made the handlles out of scrap iron. I couldn't find 14mm bolts anywhere so I made the bolts that screwed into the sparkplug holes out of two old sparkplugs. I slid the heads down a wood ramp onto the valley cover, removed the ramp and laid the head on the valley cover gently and then lifted the heads from the cover to their proper location on the block. Pictures are better than words.

Attach file:

jpg  (136.95 KB)
23_4a207b403ff9f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (117.91 KB)
23_4a207b589391a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (128.48 KB)
23_4a207b7477f1c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (144.38 KB)
23_4a207c0cb6e54.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/5/29 19:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved