Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Todd W. White, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

This has probably been done, but...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
...how cool would it be to put a '55-'56 Packard V-8 with a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission (real street rods have 3 pedals... )in an otherwise clapped-out prewar Packard coupe (i.e., not worth restoring to original) for a KILLER street rod with a totally different drivetrain?!?...

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2009/6/7 16:55
 Top  Print   

Re: This has probably been done, but...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Jack Vines has successfully mated a Viper T56 to the Packard V8, and if you can get a Packard V8 manual bellhousing and flywheel, a Ford trans will bolt right up to them, provided they are '64 and back versions, or transmissions with the dual bolt pattern, IE, early and late Ford. I think some of the Mustang 5 speeds were made this way.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I'm picturing a '35-'40 120 or 110...Packard wires...appearing totally stock, other than the shifter for the tranny (unless it's a '35-38, then I'd adapt the stock shift lever)..!!...then, when ya pop the hood, 352-374 inches of Packard V-8!! Maybe even the twin 4-bbl...

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's a great idea, and one I enthusiastically approve of. With a T56 though, your shifter would be all the way back by the seat, so a modified '38 style shifter would be out of the question.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
MIDan wrote: ...how cool would it be to put a '55-'56 Packard V-8 with a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission (real street rods have 3 pedals... )in an otherwise clapped-out prewar Packard coupe........Thoughts?

Some time ago BigKev IIRC floated a very similar idea but without I think the 5/6 speed. Kev may be able to locate the thread on that as I've had no luck in doing so.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Just make sure you put it on a Torsion Level chassis!

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I'm not good at mentally picturing this stuff...isn't the prewar body too narrow for the TL chassis?

Mind you, I LOVE that addition to my idea...

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If you have a rusty body to begin with you can make it fit. You'll have to be replacing metal anyway, and as long as you go with a Clipper chassis I would think it would work with some modification. If my parts car was a Clipper instead of a Patrician, my Speedster would be having T/L instead of the '37 115c chassis.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i started down this road. and eric and i have discussed the car. a 40, 110 sedan, with a pack v/8 ultra-torque kit and a "modernized" push button set up. but it didn't get far before i moved. then it got sold

Posted on: 2009/6/8 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
There is a company (cant remember the name) that sells trans adapters for Packard inline 8's to mate them to a GM auto i emailed them a while back (I'll see if I saved the email) and asked if there adapters would work with a manual they said it would and they could custom drill a flywheel for the application. i would like to see one with a T-5 5 speed personally as there a fairly inexpensive trans.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 21:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved