Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Headliner on a budget...
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Those of u that replaced headliners, what did u do about the rubber insulators that hte metal rod bows insert into at each side???? I'm suspicious that mine have become hard and are squeeking once in a while.

The roof insulation I HIGHLY recommend especialy for HOT climates. At some future point u mite want to add air conditioning. WHat would the rest of u recommend for roof insulation???

Be sure to keep hands VERY CLEAN while installing the headliner!!!

As for material to use my preference would be aligator, suede or rattle snake hyde. Expensive tho. Snake hydes don't hold up very well either. But i like them.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
WHat would the rest of u recommend for rood insulation???

Dynamat.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:28
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
>> I installed my own headliner (pre-cut, of course, from Fry's Auto Uphostery) last year.

Were you happy with quality ? Looks like they have kit for $144 - great price.

Headliner does not look hard to install. Are the tack strips along the sides ? (pics below) Any special tools to stretch fabric over tack strips ?

Thanks !

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm131/davejunkmail123/Packard%20parts/?action=view¤t=DSCN3124Packardtackstrip1.jpg

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm131/davejunkmail123/Packard%20parts/?action=view¤t=DSCN3125Packardtackstrip2.jpg

Posted on: 2009/7/5 12:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Headliners are not hard to install. But it is a fiddly job requiring time and patience.

No stretching machine is required. You do not stretch the material that much in fact the less you stretch it the better. More like smoothing the wrinkles out of a bed sheet.

The material will shrink with age and small wrinkles will disappear on their own.

To speed this process upholsterers use a steam hose to steam out wrinkles. I expect you could do the same with a "Shark" or similar home steamer.

Start by sliding the top bows into the pre sewn pockets. Then put the headliner in place.

Staple the front middle and back middle pulling it tight enough to take out wrinkles.

Work your way around the sides putting in a staple every 8 inches or foot.

Before you get done you will have to go back take out staples and move the material a little.

When you are all done the headliner should be in place, stretched taut but not really tight. There may be a few little wrinkles in the back beside the rear window. There should be a staple every 2 or 3 inches.

Now you can trim off the excess material with a razor knife. Install the trim and wind lace around the edges. For the dome light, cut an X with a razor knife and tuck the excess material in before installing the light.

Now you can steam the wrinkles or if you don't have a steamer they will slowly smooth themselves out over the next few weeks as the material shrinks.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Here's a guy selling custom made headliners cheap.

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/bowstyle-headliner-for-classic-and-antique-cars-p-16.html

If I was taking measurements I would take out the headliner then put the bows back in the car and measure the distance from bow to bow. This would be more accurate.

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/bowstyle-headliner-for-classic-and-antique-cars-p-16.html

I know nothing about the company. For curiosity I did a search for headliner material and this came up.

Incidentally the old fashioned sewn headliner material seems to be hard to find, all cars since the late 70s used a glued in material on a hard shell and of course this material is no use on an old car with sewn headliner.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 13:43
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
>>Work your way around the sides putting in a staple every 8 inches or foot.

My sides have "alligator teeth" metal rails - here's a pic:

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm131/davejunkmail123/Packard%20parts/?action=view¤t=DSCN3125Packardtackstrip2.jpg

I guess you use a putty knife to stretch material over these metal "alligator teeth" strips ?

Posted on: 2009/7/6 9:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
How'd you like Fry's ? Good quality ?

I'm interested in recommendations on color & fabric for 1951 Model 200, 4 door.

I can't tell color or fabric of original - really rotted.

Outside car is black, inside is black seats, with white viny on tops of seats.

Did they make only one color of headliner that year ?

Thanks !

Posted on: 2009/7/6 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
One choice that will affect the end result - original wool broadcloth headliners have no sheen like polyester blends. Real wool is still available (fabric shops as well as restoration supplies). It costs more but the different is noticeable. See both and choose what suits you.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 11:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
Fryers has a napped cotton - attached are samples

I know images are hard to tell - but do you think it looks OK for a 50's car ? I'm trying to find something that looks like that "period" - not exact, close, cheap.

Looks like gray is in now - that's probably correct for a black car - right ? Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (45.54 KB)
1627_4a528f6d73c84.jpg 619X777 px

Posted on: 2009/7/6 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
My black '50 Custom has a tan interior (trim code 501) and the headliner is somewhere between the beige and taupe samples shown. With an existing black and white interior, I'd go with gray.

As far as looking correct for the period, here's what you are trying to emulate:

http://www.hirschauto.com/ltwtbcloth.htm

I think the effect of the napped cotton is a reasonable substitute for the 'real thing'.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 23:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved