Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 53 starter problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm getting tired of trying to convince people to appreciate what is and stop trying to make it into something that never was.

No need to try to convince me, Bob, I'm firmly in your camp.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Well wait a minute. Let us assume a car that is pure stock and in good working order. THEN, does that mean that if one is driving such a car and suddenly pushes the accelerator to the FLOOR that the starter will kick in????

Posted on: 2009/9/21 9:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
No, because if the car is in good working order, a steel ball is held out of a notch in the starter switch by the engine vacuum so when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor the starter will not engage.

If the chamber the ball moves in is dirty/damaged or there is insufficient vacuum to hold the ball out of the slot, the starter will engage.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Well wait a minute. Let us assume a car that is pure stock and in good working order. THEN, does that mean that if one is driving such a car and suddenly pushes the accelerator to the FLOOR that the starter will kick in????

Yes, that can happen. You will know it right away. If it happens What I would do on the road is leave the car running and disconnect the start switch. Then fix it at home.

Yes, things do break.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
No, because if the car is in good working order, a steel ball is held out of a notch in the starter switch by the engine vacuum so when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor the starter will not engage.

Quote:
If the chamber the ball moves in is dirty/damaged or there is insufficient vacuum to hold the ball out of the slot, the starter will engage.

This is the yes and no answer. It can happen at any time for a number of reasons. DO two things, #1) try to keep the car in good working order and #2) properly fix the things that break anyway.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 12:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I'm getting tired of trying to convince people to appreciate what is and stop trying to make it into something that never was.

No need to try to convince me, Bob, I'm firmly in your camp.

That sounds like the "I'll convert it to 12 volts cuz that's BETTER" mindset. While six volts may not spin quite as fast as 12, it DID work when new and barring low compression or some other mechanical malady with the engine, there's no reason why it shouldn't still be up to the task (assuming that all the connections etc are in proper order).

Of course this scenario doesn't concern those who wish to run modern 12v powered radios etc.

I miss the days of those wacky double 6v batteries with the solenoid on top which would throw 12v to the starter but 6 to the rest of the car...and the added benefit was that the charging system could still recharge it (good luck with those 8v batteries and a tweaked voltage regulator). These batteries came in handy for the well worn smokey engines that were problem children to start.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 20:51
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
That sounds like the "I'll convert it to 12 volts cuz that's BETTER" mindset. While six volts may not spin quite as fast as 12,

Hope you didn't misunderstand what I was trying to say. I firmly believe that original is the way things should be left. 6 Volts starts my car every time just fine and I like the start switch the way it is. Works fine, Lasts a long time. In my case some 58+ years and counting.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Gee, all this because of a three dollar switch and a little peace of mind? Sorry to offend.

Scott

Posted on: 2009/9/21 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Scottie,

Hang in there, often these threads seem to take an interesting turn from the original posters question or concern. I would like to welcome you here, and am glad you are making progress. Don't take offense, everyone here loves Packards, and love to keep them on the road. Your fix will serve you well, and give you time to enjoy the car, find other issues and learn about the quirks of Packard ownership.

Thanks for being the caretaker, and saving another fine old Packard!
Jim

Posted on: 2009/9/21 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Hope you didn't misunderstand what I was trying to say. I firmly believe that original is the way things should be left. 6 Volts starts my car every time just fine and I like the start switch the way it is. Works fine, Lasts a long time. In my case some 58+ years and counting.

God, I hope you never come to my garage, it'd be like a visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses!

Posted on: 2009/9/22 1:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved