Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
275 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 275

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: V12 HOT ROD
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Reminds me of the late great Art Arfons and the Green Monster land speed record breakers. Surplus jet engine, home-made body, literally built in his back yard. Go to a web page and find out what it cost him... peanuts. Just heard on the radio the other day that, although he set records in the 60's, he was overtaken by the huge, heavy "jet" cars, and he disdained them and kept working on perfecting his own smaller, lighter jet cars all the way up to 1991, when he made a last, solo run with no one there but his crew. His afterburner didn't ignite, he coasted to a stop, and that was it for his record attempts.

After Art died, they buried him with a wrench in each hand and a can of salt from Bonneville. In the end, that was what he was, a wrench-bender with virtually no money behind him. He drag-raced jet cars, too. Although I lean toward wheel-powered rather than "roller skate" speed record cars, he's still my all-time favorite world speed record pilot. (they don't really drive those things, they taxi an airplane real fast, with wings that make it go down instead of up).

Don't know why I got off on that tangent. Guess it was hearing the Arfons story on the radio the other day.

Did you all notice that the multi-engine cars shown earlier all have Buick Nail-Head power? Those engines are so great. I'm the proud former owner of an Electra 401, my first car.

This thread is lots of fun. It could be called "V12 HOT ROD--and other automotive monstrosities!"

Thanks for all the great posts.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 21:25
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I can remember back when Art Arfons and Craig Breedlove kept breaking each others speed records.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (31.31 KB)
105_4a90aca475063.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 2009/8/22 21:40
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
55PackardGuy wrote: Reminds me of the late great Art Arfons and the Green Monster land speed record breakers.......Don't know why I got off on that tangent.......This thread is lots of fun. It could be called "V12 HOT ROD--and other automotive monstrosities!"......

Guy,
I think it's great where threads can lead to at times. In a thread like this, where it's not Packard or question specific, the "tangent" you describe is a very enjoyable experience. And now that you've mentioned Art Arfons, below are 3 pic's(sorry about the quality) of one of his Green Monster cars in the Petersen Museum in LA. I also visited this museum on my US trip and can highly recommend it!

Link to Petersen Museum pic's -http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/PetersenMuseumLA3rdAugust#

Attach file:

jpg  (26.78 KB)
226_4a910e51ad3a0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.26 KB)
226_4a910e5e1d1b2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.89 KB)
226_4a910e6cc2004.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/8/23 4:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Let's see, maybe I can find a way to swing this thread back to Packard, although it really didn't start there.

Ah. Is there any other motor manufacturer that created V12 gasoline engines for land, air and water? Whoops, Packard technically did not create a V12 for aircraft, but they did have a big part in the production of a V8, even though they shared credit because it was a war effort. The first Packard V8, BTW.

Sheesh, I'm getting pedantic. I realize lots of you know this stuff.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 13:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved