Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

r1lark, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Car show ramblings
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
if i may add, it also irritates me when one car/owner sweeps almost all the categories.

one of the VERY VERY few judged shows ive been to was kinda sad. this one car took 10 out of the 12 categories. It was a fiberglass duce coupe. whoopdie do. i thought there were plenty of cars there that deserved some recognition!

Posted on: 2009/8/17 19:52
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

mikec wrote:
if i may add, it also irritates me when one car/owner sweeps almost all the categories.

one of the VERY VERY few judged shows ive been to was kinda sad. this one car took 10 out of the 12 categories. It was a fiberglass duce coupe. whoopdie do. i thought there were plenty of cars there that deserved some recognition!

Well besides best Ford and best street rod, this glass 34 ford also won best interior. A stock interior will never in this award. The owner of this ford said he spent over $400K. Not sure if he was stretching the truth, but I would have spent the money quite differently.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Well, the club guys will take care of themselves, saw this yesterday at the annual show during a long running festival down town. Now that I know the "rules" it might turn out different next year. Lots of Fords, Chevys, and cut up jalopys. Not to mention the Mustangs and Vettes. I was the only Packard there, and for sure the only thing even close to my class. Hey, a regular girl in a Gucci dress is still just a regular girl.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As long as the shows and events are not charging any kind of entry or admission fees then i don't care how they judge the cars or don't judge them. I really don't pay any attention to any of the judging.

Over the last few years the events areas seem to be getting smaller and smaller in terms of area to hold the event. More cars and vendors jammed into smaller area and less pleasent surroundings. If i go to a show and appears to be cramped and too regimented i usualy don't stay long or maybe not even stop at all.

AACA held a very nice meet at a 'local' park in Franklin for many years. It was a great event. About three years ago they moved it closer uptown and into a half baked third rate mini-mall area called The Factory. Hell, that place should have been bulldozed and hauled off decades ago. I just quite going to it.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 21:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The class here for Packards that Randy has won in is BEST OTHER being as these were shows that people vote on their favorites which is a better way than judges. At local shows judges can pick pals or friends as winners. But if a trophy is what you want go buy one its cheaper than fixing up a car.. The car is best only if its what you want who cares what others think.
As my grandfather said to me he would drive any car someone else bought for him but when he paid he got what he wanted. If you try and make others happy all you will get is ulcers who needs them.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Those people choice shows where the participants do you judging can sometimes worse than judged shows. I had people come up and ask me for my car number before they have even seen the show field. I tell them you may vote for my car, but please look and see if there is something better that you like.

The one issue is with people choice shows is that car clubs or buddies can gang up, stuff the ballot box and sway the vote. They can do this if participants don't vote which a lot don't. I will never win a people choice show because I won't show up three hours befpre the show starts because that's when people start voting. But again, it's more fun and relaxing to show up late.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 0:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I used to go to a lot of local shows around here in the late 90's. Most of the people there used to claim "the fix" was in since even my daily driver would "win" something as it was the only car in it's class. In this case, unrestored 1970's. There never were any crowds around my cars, good thing as that's less handprints to clean. The big crowds were always around the late 50's to 60's cars, especially the muscle. The problem was, 30+ cars were fighting over a few plaques or trophies in their classes and no one brought a vehicle from my class. That started some bickering and eventually that class has been eliminated and now only up to 1972 are recognized. As I've been told "Don't you know, they stopped making cars in '72?" I found that amusing. The best reason to build and rebuild these cars is because you want to, not for personal validation. Cruises and unjudged meets are better since no feathers get ruffled.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Our club hosts a annual show with no entry fee and usually get 200 - 300 cars. We have a separate class for all club cars. The winners are picked by the owners of registered cars. One ballot per class. We have 25-30 classes each year.This system has worked well for our club for 24 years.

Posted on: 2009/10/2 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Quote:

i grew up in east texas and people take their old cars seriously because its not money just poored into these cars, its time,love,horse-trading work or tools or whatever and they really don't have $100,000 to put into a car so when a fiberglass bodied coupe won best in show about 12-13 years ago with all the night spent straightening 60 year old metal and all that work ---- somehow that fiberglass bodied car that someone just bought and brought to the show was set fire --- thats why i liked it when i was a kid where we all just met at Wienerschnitzel hot dog place and hung out in the parking lot admiring each others cars and buying/tradin cars, maybe a quick race or two -- it was all laid back and was the best -- organized things always end up so political and so buddy-buddy wins the prize that it takes all the fun out of it --

Posted on: 2009/10/2 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
somehow that fiberglass bodied car that someone just bought and brought to the show was set fire ---

LMFAO! Which is what someone needs to do to every Chevy powered "rod" at a car show. Oh wait, if they did that, there wouldn't be any more cars for next year's show!

Posted on: 2009/10/2 20:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved