Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 215

Ozstatman, Packard5687, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

"NEW" to me '55 Packard Clipper Custom
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
This is my first project, always loved the factory cars that haven't been torn up or hot rodded out --- I found a 1955 Packard Clipper Custom thats all original and not in bad shape, of course it needs some work, paint, etc... I am picking it up today and want to know what I should start looking for as normal issues with this particular car -- it is automatic, I'm assuming the two speed -- and starts right up -- got it for $6250 -- the brakes are weak and are the first thing to get done because this will be driven -- so, thanks in advance for anything I can learn from yall, I am 33 and my project is 54 LOL so the car knows more than I do!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (45.18 KB)
1757_4a8bf35c0596e.jpg 737X239 px

Posted on: 2009/8/19 7:41
 Top  Print   

Re: "NEW" to me '55 Packard Clipper Custom
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Joe, welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of friendly people with a lot of info to share here. You've got a nice car there, and if it's like mine you'll keep finding things wrong with it every time you turn a wrench. BTW, I'm 33 too, there's several of us here that are below the "old fart" age.

Also, make sure you put your car in the Owners Registry, as an insane Aussie will haunt you until you do. Just giving you fair warning on that!

Posted on: 2009/8/19 9:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations. As you said, its 54 yrs old so things will be a bit different than what you'll find today. Top of the line Clipper so probably has most all the doo-dads.

The torsion level suspension will be totally different than anything you've encountered so download the material on site here and thoroughly understand it's operation--particularly before trying to repair anything if something seems amiss.

The only marginal "weak" spot is the Twin-Ultramatic transmission. In 55, that newer design was still a work in progress and there were/are issues. Treat it gently with respect, don't try to use it as a racing trans or keep up with those who have to be first off the line at stoplights. If it has been sitting, would recommend getting a pan gasket, then complete draining of the unit, dropping the pan, clean, check for debris or anything loose-particularly one screw that holds the control valve shift lever to the shift rod and then refill. Some swear by B&M trick shift others say type F is more than adequate as it most closely matches the old type A fluid Packard recommended.

The Easamatic power brake AKA Bendix Treadlevac has been a source of much passionate discussion on site. Won't go there, but do strongly recommend at a minimum as part of the brake work have it professionally gone through before putting any miles on. There are names on site of recommended people who do good work. There is no direct drop in replacement that anyone has been able to do but there are some successful swaps requiring from minimal to substantial modifications if you want to pursue that route. Some info on those also on site.

Other than those items, can't think of anything else in particular to watch out for.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 10:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it -- I am nervous/excited about jumping into this thing but its just so cool and seems like a really nice car I had to jump in with both feet -- Thanks again

Posted on: 2009/8/19 16:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Joe Douglas wrote: This is my first project,........I found a 1955 Packard Clipper Custom thats all original and not in bad shape, of course it needs some work, paint, etc.......

Quote:
Turbopackman wrote:.......Also, make sure you put your car in the Owners Registry, as an insane Aussie will haunt you until you do. Just giving you fair warning on that!

G'day Joe,

to PackardInfo, you'll find plenty of helpful and experienced Packard people here who are ready and willing to provide advice.

And, although Eric may call me an "insane Aussie", I prefer to think of myself as passionate about Packards. From that viewpoint I invite you to include your '55 Clipper Custom in the Owner Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 16:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
I am now in the registry, not a lot of info for it yet but I will add it as I find it.
and I've known three people from the land of OZ and from my limited exposure I have come to realize that you all are pretty insane LOL

Posted on: 2009/8/19 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
and I've known three people from the land of OZ and from my limited exposure I have come to realize that you all are pretty insane LOL

That reflects my experiences as well!

Posted on: 2009/8/19 17:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Joe Douglas wrote: I am now in the registry.......and I've known three people from the land of OZ and from my limited exposure I have come to realize that you all are pretty insane LOL

Joe,
for the very quick inclusion of your '55 in the Registry, you're lucky to get all that documentation with the car.
And for your "kind" words.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 17:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

Joe Douglas wrote:
thanks in advance for anything I can learn from yall, I am 33 and my project is 54 LOL so the car knows more than I do!!!

Welcome aboard! Don't worry. If it helps, I'm 32 and my project is 61 and it's probably already plotting against me.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
I have been going through all the documentation that was in the truck and glove box and I'm amazed at it -- I have never had so many random notes from every owner and numbers to every place they bought parts from or could buy parts from -- I have the Service Manual thats very detailed and about 2 inches thick -- I have a registration card that expired in 1972 from New York -- Its like looking at the life of the car through a foggy glass --- very interesting - -- I'm glad to see other people my age on here with these great cars, maybe we can all keep them going -- this forum is great info wise and I really do appreciate yalls help and input -- I'm sure a lot of questions will come up in the near future -- wheels are coming off in the morning to see what the brakes look like and check the bearings -- then sand down the rusty spots to stop what little surface rust there is from growing any more -- when I get it to the house I will post plenty of pics for you guys, pics can explain this car better than I can --

Attach file:

jpg  (97.55 KB)
1757_4a8caab36b3ba.jpg 1280X472 px

Posted on: 2009/8/19 20:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved