Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: "NEW" to me '55 Packard Clipper Custom
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

Joe Douglas wrote:
I... can the administrator move this thread...

Transport complete.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 18:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Thanks guys -- still new to the forum thing --

Posted on: 2009/8/30 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Hi Joe,

Congrats on the '55 Clipper Custom. It's almost the "spittin' image" of the old family car in you see in my posts. Except you've still got the fender skirts and it's dual exhaust. The paint is probably different, yours looks more green than blue, but fading makes it hard to tell. Ours had over 70K when we sold it, too, and never had brake or lifter noise probems, but did need an Ultramatic rebuild pretty early in its life.

It sounds like you know the basics of going through an old car, so I'll just mention one thing I'm kind of passionate about (besides brakes and steering) which is dropping the oil pan and checking for crud buildup. You'll be able to tell a lot about what may be wrong (or right) about the engine by what's laying in the pan, which if it's just sludge buildup can be fixed, messily, right away!

Again, welcome to the forum.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 8:45
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Its Tourmalene and Moonstone --- thanks for the vote of confidence but I wish I knew more than I do --- I agree with you that the oil is super important and do plan on checking the pan -- as with the tranny pan -- just time and money LOL -----------------

thats a great car to grow up in by the way!!!

Posted on: 2009/8/31 8:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
"there's several of us here that are below the "old fart" age".

Hey you young whippersnapper I resemble that remark.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Great car in there just waiting to get out, you found the right place for advice. Nice to hear that you also like "factory" cars without the modern upgrades.

May you always be able to fix her on the lift before she gets into traffic.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Thanks man -- i do like the factory look, i honestly like all the looks out there, cars just rock -- but for my personal car I love the "off the showroom floor" look with these Packards -- even though it may take me a few years to actually get it back to that, right now I think it will look more like a rat rod for now LOL -- shes a little rough but not too shabby after all these years

Attach file:

jpg  (47.05 KB)
1757_4aa15891523a3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (72.52 KB)
1757_4aa158b324f00.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.69 KB)
1757_4aa158d0dd4e3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/9/2 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Were the original emblems brass colored on this one??

Attach file:

jpg  (26.66 KB)
1757_4aa15842b3cb9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/9/4 13:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all of the script plates on the '55-'56 Clippers were chrome-plated.

There were, however, script plates used on the '55-'56 Senior cars that were finished in genuine gold-plating (not brass). All of the exterior script plates on '55 Seniors were gold-plated - EXCEPT those on the trunk lid of the Patrician (5582), which were finished in chrome. (The "PACKARD" hood letters - though not truly a script plate - were finished in chrome.) All the exterior script plates on the '56 Seniors were gold-plated - EXCEPT those on the Executive (5672-77), which were all finished in chrome finish. The rings on the die-cast circle-vee ornaments were also gold-plated.

All that aside, when the chrome-plating wears thin, you will begin to see the nickel coat, which may fool you into thinking of tarnished brass. You may also find a similar effect with stainless trim on these cars, which actually has a thin, flash coat of chrome.

Meanwhile, looks like you found a pretty good project car.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
thanks for the info and the compliments BH --- wasn't sure, later on I would like to have my originals rechromed but I hate for them to break the things LOL -- maybe they just need a good going over with a buffing wheel on a dremel

Posted on: 2009/9/4 15:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved