Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 246

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Injection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
"Quote" by Turbopackman

When it comes to fuel injecting Packards, give me some time, as there's more than one way to skin a cat.

A cat's been skinned. Go to following link and check it out.
Looks to be straight forward and my favorite, "simple".
Bill

www.fuelairspark.com

Posted on: 2009/8/20 11:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Injection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Hey, I don't see an intake system for a Pontiac V-8, much less for something like Eric is building.

And I'll bet the "Self-tuning" is actually a minor tweaking system based upon a standard baseline Chebbie SB V-8.

I do not see FAST as applicable.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/8/20 12:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Craig,
Have an email question sent to FAST as will unit work on PACKARD. Wil post reply. Product info states works on ANY MANIFOLD with 4 barrell carb, ANY brand of car which would include Pontiac with 4B manifold and possibly straight 8's with 4B.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Well, claiming that it will work does not mean it WILL actually work. I am very skeptical of solutions like this.

Most Pontiacs (1967-79) have a Quadrajet which is spread bore layout. Square bore carbs of any time do not work very well even with an adapter because of both hood height restrictions, e.g., Firebird, and fuel distribution issues in the intake manifold. A square bore aftermarket intake manifold, e.g., Edelbrock, would therefore be required, adding to cost.

Packards with 4bbl carbs of course have a square bore carb layout. But the size of the four holes is smaller than most aftermarket 4bbl square bore carbs. An adapter or machine work would be required, both adding to cost. I doubt hood height is an issue. The only 4bbl V-8 Packard intake is not very efficient when compared to other brands due to runner design. Only the 2x4bbl Caribbean intake is comparably efficent, but now you are talking double the number of FAST throttle body injection units!

BTW, what is the cost?

Craig

Posted on: 2009/8/20 15:00
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
A cat's been skinned. Go to following link and check it out.
Looks to be straight forward and my favorite, "simple".
Bill

My way is a heck of a lot cheaper and a lot easier to do. Plus, it looks vintage and doesn't have a stupid computer.

And no, it's NOT a Hilborn unit.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
I've added throttle body EFI systems to older cars by using cobbled up systems from later model GM vehicles. The trickiest part is to get the computer mapped. As long as you can covert to an electronic ignition and have a good stable 12v charging system (alternator and solid state regulator) then the obstacles become mundane...throttle and transmission linkage, welding an oxygen sensor threaded bung, installing the various sensors (MAP, CTS, speedo etc).

For someone who knows about smoke powered devices it really ain't that tuff...but getting it dialed in IS.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
My way is a heck of a lot cheaper and a lot easier to do. Plus, it looks vintage and doesn't have a stupid computer.

And no, it's NOT a Hilborn unit.

What is your way? You know how to keep a shithead in suspense? I'll tell you next week LOL (not directed at you)

Posted on: 2009/9/9 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Rowdy,Turbo et al

Somebody asked Enzo Ferrari why he didn't switch to fuel injection right away. He said if cars had been born with fuel injection first, everyone would have astonished how simple and intuitive carburators were when they got invented later

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/9/9 21:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
a modified hilborn unit for a chev or Pontiac would work as well

Posted on: 2012/1/18 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Gee whiz:

The 1000 HP 350 Chevrolet kit should include a dust pan and a broom to collect the debris when it blows up.

For Packard motors the benefit of EFI should be longer motor life from cleaner combustion and smoother running. The block is not a deep casting like Ford and Chrysler and not cross bolt mains like a modern V-8. All that horsepower will blow it up.

These kits should include PCV as well which would extend motor life via less sludge.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 18:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved