Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 220

humanpotatohybrid, Packard Don, Bingo, Out Islander, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tow dolly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Is it okay to use a 2 wheeled car dolly to tow a 56 packard pat, with the twin ultra placed in neutral, and would you put the front wheels or the back wheels on the dolly. The trip is about 25 miles one way. I'm going to need exhaust, mufflers and state inspection for first time since buying the car.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 8:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Tow dolly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd follow the towing guidelines in the shop or owner's manual. Someone (HH would be my bet!) will come along and provide a copy, but as I remember, short trips under a hundred or so miles at modest speeds are OK to tow on the rear wheels. Longer than that you should disconnect the driveshaft at the differential.

I'd never tow with the rear wheels off the ground and the steering wheel locked - places a lot of strain on the suspension.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 8:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was going to just mention what O_D had, but didn't want to let him down so here is clip from manual.

Still think the safest would be to have it loaded on a flat hauler, but if towed, definitely not on front wheels down only.. Believe one of our newer members just had his car towed on the rear wheels the other day and despite placing in neutral, apparently something happened to trans so would have it on the tow dolly.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.79 KB)
209_4a8ea0d05106e.jpg 716X229 px

Posted on: 2009/8/21 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i wouldn't tow it on a dolly unless you unbolt the drive shaft from the rear end. already been down this road with towing packards on a dolly!

Posted on: 2009/8/21 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Thanks, O-D,HH and Green Dragon,
Answers were what I expected. Guess I'll have to round up a roll-off or flat bed trailer. They don't come cheat but, a lot cheaper than rebuilding a tranny.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I would rent a four wheel trailer from U-Haul for a day or how ever long it takes to do the job. I rented one last fall for the day local use and returned to same location for under $40 complete and no problems they even connect up the wires and everything needed. The trailer had brakes and the fenders folded making it easy to open car door when loaded on trailer. If the car does not run under its own power make sure you take a come-along to pull onto trailer.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
AColds, Many thanks;
That would be great if I can get a deal like that it would be well worth it. The car runs fine so should be no problem loading it.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 8:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved