Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

ScottG, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

upgrades
Just popping in
Just popping in

bert
See User information
hi
i have a 56 patrician could anyone recommend an updatd carb and fuel pump i could use,thanks

Posted on: 2009/8/21 23:11
 Top  Print   

Re: upgrades
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Carb: Edelbrock 500 cfm with electric choke.
Fuel pump: One from a Y-Block Ford from your local parts dealer. The part number should be in the X-Ref area of this site.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I'll buy your old carb and pump for cores.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/8/22 15:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why not just buy the correct core and have it rebuilt? A modern mechanical pump won't perform any better.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Why not just buy the correct core and have it rebuilt? A modern mechanical pump won't perform any better.

Because a new one from a local parts store will have a lifetime warranty, the original one won't. More than enough reason to me!

Posted on: 2009/8/23 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've never experienced an OUTSOURCED rebuilt carb from ANYWHERE that was right the first time. In fact, i know of noone that ever has. Not even on the dime-a-dozen Quadrajets. Still have to take them apart and do something to make them run rite. Even when i rebuild them my self i usualy have to 'readjust' something.

Old brass linkerts about as simple as they come have rebuild kit variations and tweeking problems due to those variations.

There really is no such thing as a "correct Kit" for any carb. Maybe from the dealer if NOS or if it's late model enuf. But that's about it.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 14:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Unless there is some damage that is beyond my skills, I always prefer to rebuild my own carbs, fuel pumps, generators, alternators, and other units. I'll be tackling my own Ultramatics when the time comes, too.

Quote:
There really is no such thing as a "correct Kit" for any carb. Maybe from the dealer if NOS or if it's late model enuf. But that's about it.

Yes, I just picked up a kit in a Standard box for a 1980 Corvette and the air horn gasket is WRONG - enough that it can't be made to work. The original was torn and too complicated to try cutting my own - except as a last resort. I wasn't up for wrestling with the parts sotre - trying to return an open kit, either. Fortunately, I had a GM parts catalog with individual gasket P/Ns listed and found some obsolete stock on a dealer locator - for about half the price of an entire aftermarket kit!

Gaskets in repro kits that I've gotten from Daytona Parts Company for the '56 edition of the 4GC have been correct, including a running change in the fuel bowl to throttle body gasket from the original design. I learned about that change the hard way, AFTER cutting a gasket to match what I'd removed - only to recreate one of the conditions that I was trying to alleviate by a rebuild.

Several years ago, I purchased a Daytona kit for a '55 4GC from a third party vendor, but never got around to using it before I sold the car. When I went to offer it to the new owner, we found it had seats but no float needles. I couldn't get any response from inquiries to DPC.

Meanwhile, IIRC, the kit for a single-action Carter fuel pump as used on some Studebaker V8s, including the 1963-64 Avanti, will work. Nearly all of the parts are identical, and its a fairly easy rebuild. However, I reused the original valve cages - mebbee the springs, too.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 17:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry you had an issue with a Daytona kit some time back, I've found them very helpful even on questions that don't concern their services or parts. I believe it's "Tim" that I ask for.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 17:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, as it turns out, I may end up with some unused parts from their kits for the '56 4GCs as I plan on installing some NOS Rochester needle and seats sets (found since) in the carbs on the Carib and one of the Pats, in conjunction with kits that I had purchased from DPC (before I encountered the problem with the '55 kit).

Generally, I prefer to handle such matters via the time-shifting utility of e-mail or snail mail, but have learned those forms of communication are easily ignored when a problem arises. From now on, that stuff will get handled by a phone call. Thanks for the tip on the "go-to guy".

Yet, a call to DPC wasn't very fruitful regarding an inquiry on a replacement for the broken choke stat cover for my Carib (when I ordered those overhaul kits) - unless I would send them the carbs and pay for their rebuild service. Thankfully, Mike Dulinksi (of MN) came through with an excellent used cover.

Still, I'd recommend DPC's kits, with pros and cons I've noted.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 18:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved