Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 242

acolds, Don B, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Wood grained dash
Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Yes indeed, I'm sure. I wouldn't care if it were my car, but as far as documentation goes how much of that really exists? What many of us that are 'lifers' in Packards and Packard history know is that such things were done although not very common. Right? Wrong? Too much of a liberty? Would it de-value the car or make it special? Only the current owner can make that final call. I know a few who are really fussy about all things OEM, I'm thinking they'd not deduct points for such a practice. For the record I'm not pushing for a grain job here as I have enough of that to do right now. Just sharing ideas and practices. Quote:

sanford wrote:
In ref to our buddy Highlander and woodgrainning.

Unless you can prove it was done by the factory with documentation, I would give a demerit for Authenticiy in that category from a judging standpoint.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
If it makes one happy then by all means 'do it' but i stand by my guns..perhaps Im too much of a purist..that's my achilles heel so to speak..Case in point is the old saying you can paint a packard any color you so desire...wrong.
My 1928 facts book states: Colors must come thru in the exact combinations(factory) given and other color must be preformed at the dealer. So the answer to that is yes and no. Have you noticed some of the color combinaions on these so called 100 point resto's packard included. the poor girl looks like she just stepped out of a 'bordello' dragging her bra. Bright oranges, metallics(which is wrong for the period...We for the most part are trying to preserve history not alter it. Also there is a trend by many owners to go back to Black walls..Although they were available in the 20's they were the exception rather than the rule. But I have no qualms on those who have the white walls. Many many factory and period photos show them sporting blackwalls on the Deluxe or Senior models including the custom body builders..

Posted on: 2009/10/16 13:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Phil, "I have a 36 120B convertible 999", consider yourself lucky, NO woodgraining. Getting the dash colors right, now that is another can of worms...

Posted on: 2009/10/16 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Quote:

sanford wrote:
metallics(which is wrong for the period...We for the most part are trying to preserve history not alter it.

I get it. I do it for a living, but this part is wrong. Metallics were indeed avaiable from the late 20s all the way through to the end. Persevation is the key as well as thorough research and sound proffesional help when choosing things like color and materials if you don't have any specs to go by. My thing is more early to mid 30s. There were some recommendations and some pre-determined schemes, There was also a catalog of colors. Included in that catalog were several versions of iridescent or polychromatic colors. Bruce Blue was a dark metallic color. Steel Dust polychromatic and Steel Dust Dark poly were 2 shades of silver, one very bright and one dark. There was a bronze metallic color, a brassy gold, and a deep metallic maroon. The thing that is wrong is having these colors matched with polys that are too brilliant or too large like today's tones and colors. Early metallics are very fine in nature, the poly being almost like powder. Very hard to apply without blotching in today's crop of base/clears and HVLP spray guns. I know it's a Packard forum but I recall a KB Lincoln that was done in charcoal and red "pearlescent" scheme. The pearl effect was done using dried ground fish scale and ground oyster shell. That was done in 33. The 34 Packard LeBaron spt phaeton and speedster were displayed and promoted in silver for the phaeton and metallic green for the speedster. The "Car of the Dome" for the Century of Progress in 33 was a beautiful bronze metallic. There was a medium blue metallic that was popular in the 37 model year, and although fewer shades, offerings in the 6th, 7th and 8th series cars as well.

Seeing these colors in person on original cars is like finding the holy grail sometimes. I'm told most every color used by every OEM supplied by Ditzer (PPG) simce 1930 is archived in their main lab in Ohio. I my visit someday, my supplier said he could arrange it, and the idea is exciting.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
edit: meant to pm

Posted on: 2009/10/16 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Highlander..thankyou...I stand particially corrected..metallics came by accident..by none other that GM's Cadillac Div for the Custom Auto show for 1929. So the story goes..Three Cadillac convertible sedans were being painted for the Custom Salon for various cities NY, the West Coast and I belive Chicago. time being the essence GM ordered the colors Channel maroon and I belive Paris Grey from DuPont. After the maroon was painted on the venders the Superintendant came down to see the cars there laid before him were three metallic fendered cars. Evidently he had a hemmorage..and told the subordinates to get that (&*)(*&() dupont salesman here like pronto..and a fresh batch of paint. In analysis but dupont, it appeared that the metallic balls in crushing the 'japan' or pigment had disintegrated. Two of the cars were repainted but there was no time in doing the third and was shipped to the custom salon where it drew much favorable comment by the public..

Yes I have heard the fish scales were also used in the early pigments.

My son Sanford III works as a paint tech at the BASF paint facility in Whitehouse Ohio just west of Toledo. I will ask him about the PPG paint library. I think he said they are now working on colors for 2015...

Posted on: 2009/10/17 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I know of a painter in Eastern Pennsylvania who has perfected the original type of metallic. Like the original, you have to practically get out a magnifying glass to see it. Not many people would even realize it's metallic, but as you look at it, it catches your eye as being something different.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 3:39
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved