Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bench testing my combination fuel pump vacuum question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of rebuilding the combination fuel / vacuum pump for my 22nd Custom 8. While on the bench, I can tell that the fuel pump is working. When I push down on the lever, I get suction on the "in" and pressure on the "out" but the vacuum portion seems to just "sit there". Investigating, I found that the diaphragm spring is pushing the rod all the way in such a way that the levers take no action.

Is my test valid? In the back of my head I am thinking that maybe some other conditions have to be met before the vacuum pump starts working. (full throttle passing a car in the rain) It is almost as if the spring is on the wrong side. (it's not, I checked)

Any clues or advice?

Posted on: 2009/8/29 23:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Bench testing my combination fuel pump vacuum question
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you looked at the fuel pump rebuild article here on the website. It will show you how everything is supposed to go together.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 23:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
I did, actually I have looked at it several times, it gave me the inspiration to tear into mine. Looking it over, the vacuum pump must be a vacuum assist, because for the most part the "big" spring holds the diaphragm in a neutral position. It looks to me that if the engine vacuum is large enough to pull the spring, then the pump would "kick in". I am going to guess that my hypothesis that the pump was meant for full throttle operation is wrong. The pump is meant for when the engine is idle and the vacuum is the strongest. Must be a smooth idle thing.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2009/8/30 16:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your assist theory is correct but pump is there for when the vacuum from intake manifold is low. The diaphragms move together but due to the springs, independently as the fuel side will sometimes not move at all or very little depending on how much and how fast the float is allowing fuel into carb. The springs pushing against the diaphragm also determine the output fuel pressure of 4-5psi.

The determining factor when the assist takes over or helps is the valving which works just as the fuel side does. When manifold vacuum is stronger, air is essentially just sucked through the pump and assist has little to do. When under open throttle or any low manifold vacuum conditions, the assist side is stronger and valving only allows exhausting into manifold side and suction from wiper side. While not as much volume or as strong as manifold vacuum, it is still sufficient to keep wiper motor moving --although slower.

Specs for those vacuum pumps in general were 8 1/2 inches hg minimum at 180 rpm and 12 inches hg maximum at 1800 rpm. As you see, lower than manifold but still sufficient.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 17:11
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
I swiped an image of a similar pump from the literature that shows the big spring that has me confused. It looks to me that the vacuum works against the spring, causing the pump to engage when the vacuum is the highest.

I am sure that mine is assembled correctly, I may have to take it on faith that the Packard Engineers designed it correctly.

I is bugging me though. Thanks for the specs, I will install the pump on the motor and verify that it works using your data.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.88 KB)
1513_4a9b41777e95a.jpg 801X708 px

Posted on: 2009/8/30 22:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a brief description of vacuum section operation from a Motors Manual. Think you might have hit the spring purpose/workings in post #3 above. Illustration keyed to description probably of wrong model as I don't know what 22nd used. Threw in one from AJ series as typical since it was similar to what you posted.

Attach file:

jpg  (213.20 KB)
209_4a9c02c596843.jpg 1200X1200 px

Posted on: 2009/8/31 12:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved