Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ultramatic shifting index
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Amspoker
See User information
After months of frustration having an ultramatic rebuilt then the gearshift control system rebuilt on my 56 clipper, the car was recently put into operation.

I have a problem keeping the shifting indexed correctly. It was working correctly until today. I put the car in reverse and it started forward.

Any info to help or references to past postings regarding this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Posted on: 2007/8/27 9:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic shifting index
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Memory says there are three things that could be at fault.
1. The adjustment bolt that threads into the back of the shifting unit is loose. This can be checked visually by lying under the car and having someone inside go thru the range of buttons. If you see the whole mechanism move then the bolt needs tightened AFTER you again get it in sync with the transmission. Do NOT overtighten as you are tightening die-cast potmetal and you do not want to strip the threads.
2. The bolt that tightens up the sector gear to the shaft lever is loose and not moving the shaft when the sector gear turns. Remove the two screws from the inspection plate and observe the shaft and bolt while someone goes thru the range of buttons.
3. The internal bolt that tightens up the diecast piece that connects to the internal valve is loose allowing the shaft to turn but not moving this diecast link which is connected to the manual valve by a split rivet. I mention this procedure last because you have to drop the tranny pan to observe this function. Be CAREFUL and do not overtighten this bolt as you are tightening against diecast potmetal, not steel.
4. If you find any of these conditions you will have to resync the mechanism with the transmission. I have always put the mechanism in PARK and then moved the mechanism to put the trans in PARK. Then I tighten the adjustment bolt that holds the mechanism in proper position.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Posted on: 2007/8/27 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
this is an electronic pushbutton shift equipped car?

Posted on: 2007/8/27 12:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
LOL, damn good question. I couldn't conceive of anything going haywire with normal selector shift so just assumed it was a PB unit.

Posted on: 2007/8/27 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
This is what made me think it was a pushbutton unit: Quote:
Remove the two screws from the inspection plate and observe the shaft and bolt while someone goes thru the range of buttons.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 2:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Amspoker
See User information
Thanks for the tips. Yes it is a pushbutton.

A strange thing is happening in the early morning startup.
The reverse button wants to send the car forward.

After the car is driven for a few minutes reverse starts to work as it should?

Anymore input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Posted on: 2007/8/29 14:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mine did the same at some time in the past. If your hearing is keen you may also hear multiple clicks from the relay. Not to worry, just follow the procedures in the service manual for the anti-hunting adjustment. And make sure the push button actuator is properly adjusted for the detents, and the set screws are properly tightened on both the outside and inside of the transmission case.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 17:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy's advice about dropping the pan is echoed in a Studebaker Service Bulletin from 1958. Titled "Adjusting Actuator-to-Transmission Control Valve Detent, Push Button Control", you'll find it in the article "Ultramatic Info from Studebaker STBs" archived at this site.

This bulletin further addresses complaints of the loss or delay of high range clutch application in the Ultramatic, which I have expereinced in one of my Patricians, but I have yet to try it.

This information may also have some merit WRT the subject problem as the focus of correction involves lining up the manual valve to the proper detents and indexing to the sector gear.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 19:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Doublecheck and make sure the large locknut at the rear of the anti-hunt adjustment is snugly tightened. If it works loose the anti-hunt may have to be readjusted and worse yet you could lose the nut which is an odd size.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.04 KB)
23_46d63f6b53c97.jpg 800X476 px

Posted on: 2007/8/29 22:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Just as a starting point for adjustment I find that between .125''-.150" of the large slotted brass adjustment screw sticking out of the large locknut after the nut is tightened is good. It's a place to start adjustments. The further in it is adjusted the more drag on the thrust bearing, the further out, not so much drag and there will be hunting.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 10:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved