Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

To buy or not to buy...that is the question... '47 Custom Super
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Greetings all! I'm sure you must get tired of posts from novices like myself asking what a car is worth and whether or not its worth restoring. Well, hang on to your hats because here comes another.

I stumbled across a '47 Custom Super on Craigslist a few days ago. The present owner indicates that the car is complete with rust issues mainly in the trunk and front floor areas. The right rear quarter was smashed up pretty good by a falling tree branch and the roof took a glancing blow from the same. Most of trim is currently off of the car but is included. The interior appears intact although it will need a complete restoration. The car has not run in about eight years but supposedly the engine turns freely. Seller is asking $2500 however he's open to offers.

If this wasn't a complete Custom Super in blue I probably wouldn't even have given the car a second thought especially when I'd have to venture about seven hours to reach it. But...

As for me, I'm not new to restoration work, engine rebuilds or suspension work. ('68 Mustang, '66 Caprice, '70 Bonneville 455, '74 Fiat 124) Heavy body work is another matter as I am a bit green when it comes to anything more than basic dent repairs. Also, in the past I've only admired Packards from afar..I've never tried to work on one.

So, I'm hoping for your expert opinions. I know very little about the current market for Packards and am not to sure about the comparative rarity of these post war models. All I do know is I'm a big fan of these Clippers and am looking for a new challenge. Could this be it?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Attach file:

jpg  (18.36 KB)
1928_4ad54f4c15e5b.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (26.57 KB)
1928_4ad54f6a91d96.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (26.18 KB)
1928_4ad54f89d9007.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (16.07 KB)
1928_4ad54fa73374b.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (19.41 KB)
1928_4ad54fb4e0359.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2009/10/13 23:16
 Top  Print   

Re: To buy or not to buy...that is the question... '47 Custom Super
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
BUY IT! That's a fine car with one of Packard's best engines. Offer $1500 and settle for $2000. It's a steal, even at $2500.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 23:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
ScottG wrote:......a '47 Custom Super.......

G'day Scott,
First up to PackardInfo and sorry I can't offer anything on your request. However hopefully when, not if, you buy the '47 could you please include it in the Owner Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/10/13 23:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Make sure the engine turns freely.But yes ,By all means buy it. Only 7162 built in 46-47. It has the excellent 356ci engine.Nine main bearings,160 hp Excellent car!You wont be disappointed. Brian

Posted on: 2009/10/14 5:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Buy the car. As Eric mentioned it is a steal at $2500. I will caution you however that if the interior needs complete restoration and you plan on keeping it original you will find that the correct wool broadcloth material and Mosstred carpeting is VERY expensive and I am not even sure you will be able to find it. On the other hand if you are not concerned about being absolutely correct you will find modern materials that would make the interior approximate original. If the interior is still intact and not badly ripped I would just try to keep it as is and have it professionally cleaned by someone familiar with wool. Perhaps the carpeting could be cleaned and redyed. I would do everything possible to keep it original.
The more than $600 in 1947 dollars difference in price bewteen a Super Clipper and a Custom was for that magnificent interior. You won't be disappointed as they are superb cars.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Buy it! Looks like the interior is in fair shape and the body on these is real metal, not reprocessed beer cans.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 15:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Their are two areas to check,Check below the headlights,there is a shelf that will hold mud ect.If that is not rusted the odds are good with the rest of the car.The rockers are also a rust trap.The photos look pretty good except the rear of course.In my narrow view there is nothing like a Packard.My guess is If you buy it and go through it,it will be your favorite. Brian

Posted on: 2009/10/14 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Thanks to all that responded. Your input and enthusiasm has been quite helpful. I'll keep you all posted.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 0:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Update: Went to look at the car on Saturday. Hey, it was only a 940 mile round trip, but I didn't have anything better to do...

The car is fairly complete with a few pieces of exterior trim possibly AWOL. Rust is present in the trunk and the exterior perimeter of the floor pans. The tops of the rockers (under the rubber door 'mats') are soft. The dented right fender is pretty bent up but the nearby door jamb is untouched. Exterior panels show no rust perforations. All doors open and close solidly.

The interior is likewise complete yet really tired. Seats are covered with vinyl but the broadcloth looks like its hiding underneath. Similarly, a ratty double-loop pile carpet seems to be covering up the original Mosstred carpet (which looks to be crumbling). Knobs, etc. are all present with one exception on the radio. The clock still has the original tag/instructions attached.

Car hasn't run in eight years and I wasn't really in a position to see if it would spin freely. Nothing appeared to be missing.

I took the advice given here and made an offer that was accepted by the present owner, left a deposit, and will be picking the car up this Saturday if all goes well. Once it's home more pics will be forthcoming and I will list it here in the owner registry. Then the real fun will begin!

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2009/10/19 0:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Congratulations Scott! to the world of Packards. Don't be shy in asking questions as there are knowledgeable, experienced and friendly Packard people here willing to help. And enjoy!

Posted on: 2009/10/19 4:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved