Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

BigKev, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

'53 327 starting problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi All! This morning I thought I would do some normal ignition maintenance. I adjusted the timing, everything ok. Then, I cleaned the contacts on my points, now she doesn't want to start. Maybe the coil is weak? What are the part numbers and coils that would replace this? I've tried looking it up on NAPA's site and just got frustrated.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 15:54
 Top  Print   

Re: '53 327 starting problems
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you checked the Parts X-Ref here? Trying search under the keyword COIL

Posted on: 2009/10/19 15:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Ok, so I narrowed the point gap a bit and she's running again. It seems to be so small though. I have to wait until my friend comes home so I can borrow his feeler gauge. I do remember the old matchbook cover trick, but the gap seems to be just a little to tight for that in order for her to run. I'm still thinking that my coil is losing its poop.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Got the numbers from the X-ref, called my local NAPA, they don't have any idea what I'm talking about. I know its hard enough trying to find parts for older vehicles, but in Utah? HA-Ha-ha!

Posted on: 2009/10/19 16:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At a quick glance, looks like 6 v coils are almost extinct at Napa. These two are what kept coming up searching for 1953 and picking several cars I knew were 6v. Appear to be generic coils and aside from brand, not sure why the $30 price difference. No details on them.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.60 KB)
209_4adcdf0eb3e5c.jpg 763X325 px

jpg  (12.72 KB)
209_4adcdf16c376a.jpg 589X269 px

Posted on: 2009/10/19 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I had the same problem this summer. NAPA no longer had the Echlin IC-9. Try the standard UC-14. I got mine from Pep Boys but it was about 40 bucks. Here is the thread.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3110&forum=2

Posted on: 2009/10/19 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I just picked up an IC7 from NAPA for my 48 Custom Eight.Would that work on a Delco system.It listed for V Autolite.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 18:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Thanks for the info everybody! I went to an out of the way place here in town and picked up one for about forty six bucks w/o tax. I think all I need to do now is set the point gap at the correct spacing and all should be peachy! I suppose I'll do that tomorrow, the weather just got REAL crappy here all of a sudden. While I'm at it, can anyone think of any other reason why she doesn't like to go uphill or heavy acceleration? I'm thinking that with a bum coil, when the dwell would open, then the spark would start cutting out. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. I'll post more info when I have it.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Make sure the leads are connected correctly at the coil. Reversed polarity would definitely cause a problem like this. Ask me how I know that

Posted on: 2009/10/19 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
It's a little late since you already got the coil, but Autozone has a coil for $14.99. I bought one for my 288 and it works fine.

http://www.autozone.com/

Posted on: 2009/10/19 20:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved