Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

Packard Don, JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 Clipper Custom Generator not Charging ????
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Hello,AC generator is not charging.Battery light is on.Any suggestions?How doI polarize?Thanks!!

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Clipper Custom Generator not Charging ????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Do you have a service manual? The instructions are in there.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
I have the electronic version.All I seen in there is to jump a and b terminal on the v. regulator,but I dont know which ones are a and b Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/10/29 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A quick check is to ground the field terminal. If the generator charges, then the regulator is faulty.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 18:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Thanks!How would I do that exactly?

Posted on: 2009/10/30 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
55clippercustom, You take an insulted electrical wire with two alligator clips on it. Attach one end to the Field terminal of the generator. Attach the other end to a ground like the generator mounting bracket. Then run the engine and see if the amp or volt meter registers a full charging or if generator light goes out. If generator charging is indicated, the regulator is at fault. If a discharge is still indicated, then probably the best thing for you to do would be to take it to an auto electric shop and have them check the system for you. Good luck, and let us know how this works for you.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 20:47
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Thanks!!!I will do that today.How many wires/cables should be hooked to the battery on this car?I only have Ground strap and the positive coming from starter.I was just wondering if there should be a seperate charging wire coming from the generator?

Posted on: 2009/10/31 9:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No separate wire to the battery for that. The output from your generator goes to the regulator and from there down to the the battery cable at the starter. The terminal on the starter acts as a junction block for several circuits on the car.

Posted on: 2009/10/31 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Your '55 Clipper should have positive battery terminal (post) grounded. The negative cable goes to the starter. No other cables on the battery. The Armature (A) and Field (F) terminals from the generator go to the respective A and F terminals on the voltage regulator. The third terminal on the regulator is the Battery (B). You may also have a third wire from the generator to the regulator. This would be a Ground (G). If you have no experience with these systems you may want to do some reading on basic automobile electrical systems and read the service manuals on these cars available on this site in the Manuals and Literature section. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/10/31 12:00
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Thanks!Yes I figured out everything junctions through the starter.I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing any wires.I am not very familiar with these systems because i have mostly worked on more modern electrical systems.I have determined the V. reg. is good and that the Generator is simply not producing a charge.Thanks for all the help!!

Posted on: 2009/11/1 20:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved