Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Window Glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Laminated cuts more easily than temperedI'm told.

Unless I'm mistaken, tempered can't be cut. It will shatter. You have to make the window, then have it tempered. The glass shop should be able to cut the laminated, then sand and polish the edges for a factory look.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Quote:

Pack120c wrote:
Tom,

Have you tried OEM Glass in Chenoa, IL ? They make reproductions for several makes going back to 1927. They also claim to use the correct marks. A friend of mine used them for his award winning 1954 Caribbean and was very pleased. I plan on using them for my '37 120 when the time comes. Here is their link:

http://www.oemglass.net/index.html
Thanks for the link. I sent an email off to them for a quote.

Ok this is weird the window that broke has no markings. The other window does have the safety markings. I wonder if the window without markings is the original glass?

Anyone out there with a '31 with original glass can you tell us if there are any markings?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:05
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't have a 1931 but I don't see any logo or other marks on original glass on my 34.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Owen,

Thanks for looking.

I just looked at my windshield it has the Safety Glass mark.

The rear window does not. I am 50/50 on markings.

So can I assume that up to '34 no markings?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:29
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, by 1934 Packard was supplying laminated safety glass in all windows, but I don't know when they changed from safety plate windshields only, thou you certainly could track that down thru yearly specifications.

PS - just checked the 1932 Light Eight intro salespiece, it states shatterproof windshields, no mention of all glass being shatterproof. Based on that, shattefproof in front and simple plate elsewhere in 1931 would be no suprise. Of course you'll install safety glass all around. I'm going to check my 34 for etched markings again.

PPS - checked the 34 again, I am certain all the glass is original except the front vents; all others have no markings at all but all test positive for laminated safety plate. It would be interesting to learn when the Gov't required or when makers began applying markings.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Interesting information. If you can get your glass out of the shop without safety glass markings, that sounds like the way to go. If they won't do it that way, I'd opt for the smallest mark you can find, such as what appears on my 1940. I'll try to take a close up picture of it, but it won't be easy.
West

Posted on: 2009/11/12 9:26
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved