Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1951 Chrome Steering Column?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
We do wander, don't we! I have sympathy for the guy 5 years from now searching for something specific that he knows is there somewhere. It will be like searching for the Holy Grail.

Posted on: 2009/12/23 14:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In 51/52 Packard really tried to stick to the number based model names and dropped the Clipper name. So the 200s 250s 300s and 400s model names were used. But the names like Mayfair and Patrician were also associated with the cars. Perhaps this was to say the 400 was the Patrician of the family. I don't know.

If wasn't until '53 that the numbering became depreciated and the names took over again. Out were the 200, 250 and 300 references, and the Clipper, Cavalier, Caribbean, Patrician, Pacific, Panamas names were used instead. For some reason the 400 still stuck in some references the Patrician. Perhaps to the public the numbering was to non-descript and created confusion, so re-associateing the models with names was done.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 2:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The number "400" was displayed on the roof behind the rear door of the 53 Patrician. I think it was called the 400 Patrician in sales lit.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 4:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Exactly. For some reason the '400' and 'Patrician' always stuck together even though the rest of the models shifted.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 12:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe the "400" designation was in reference to the 400 top society members in New York City. (o {} o)

Posted on: 2009/12/24 13:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, Packard did run an ad in the 1920's-1930's? touting the fact that America's 400 most prominent families drove Packards but I am not sure that the designation of the "400" Model in the early 50's was for that reason otherwise how would you explain the "200" and the "300" being lesser models than the "400"? Over the holidays I will look through my old Packard Club Cormorants for the issue with the ad . Have a great Christmas. It is snowing a blizzard here and I am not sure my Ford will make it across town to the church for the evening service!

Posted on: 2009/12/24 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

clipper47 wrote:
John, Packard did run an ad in the 1930's touting the fact that America's 400 most prominent families drove Packards but I am not sure that the designation of the "400" Model in the early 50's was for that reason otherwise how would you explain the "200" and the "300" being lesser models than the "400"? ...

Dave, good point. Advertising does not necessarily need to be logical. Let us know what you find out.

We are having strong winds here today. I am watching Christmas decorations blow down the street. My front yard was full of leaves from the Oak tree, but not anymore. Temps in the 40s and falling. A good Texas Nor'Wester. Stay warm and safe, and have a Happy Christmas. (o {} o)

Posted on: 2009/12/24 14:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved