Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

DJP-37-120, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Of DOT3, alcohol antifreeze, vinegar and other alchemy
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote

DOT4 is the currently recommended brake fluid for BMW.

And for most if not all Euro cars for many years. I have used it in my MB's and Volvos for as long as I can remember because of the higher boiling point. I use it in my Packard also and replace the brake fluid every 2-3 years in all my cars.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
whatever brake fluid was used in the btv found in the trunk of my 55 had long since turned to a sandy material.

my 77 harley recomends dot 5, fwiw.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 21:38
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As of a year or two ago and perhaps still true, not one automobile manufacturer worldwide used or recommended silicone brake fluid; I'm not sure why, could be a cost issue. It doesn't really offer much in the way of benefits for the extra cost for cars given regular competent service and used regularly, though the situation isn' the same with museum cars and those infrequently driven or less-than-ideally maintained.

Also, at least one rebuilder of hydraulic brake components voided his warranty if it was used. Maybe this dated back to the very early days of DOT5 and is no longer the case. One thing I've sometimes heard is that in marginal situations, worn cylinders and cups perhaps, DOT5 will seep whereas DOT3 or 4 won't. True or not, can't say.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 22:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also DOT 5 tends to eventually ruin the hydraulic brake light switches. That was one of the reasons why I didn't want to mess with it. Plus I have always heard that DOT 5 is harder to bled, and is a has a more sponger feel to it.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 22:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is there a way to determine the percentage of alcohol in a mixture????? A way that can be done in the home shop???
I'll get to the point. I have a batch of wine that has completed fermentation and would like to determine the alcohol percentage.

The current method used is to use a wine hydrometer and measure the specific gravity of the slurry just minutes or a few hours after slurry is mixed and created (i.e. BEFORE fermnetation starts).

I've already done all of the googling and asked the wine store experts. I just don't believe that the alcohol content can be determined before the alcohol is produced by fermentation. Or can it??? I've wondered about this for decades.

Posted on: 2010/5/19 20:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Boy, I'm way out of my comfort zone here, but as I remember the alcohol %age will be exactly 1/2 of what the sucrose %age was, only if fermentation goes to completion.

I'd think the only accurate way to measure the alcohol unless you've got access to some sophisticated analytical equipment is by distillation.

Posted on: 2010/5/19 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Ethanol to vinegar requires oxygen - brakes sealed system no oxygen

Posted on: 2010/5/20 4:28
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I've already done all of the googling and asked the wine store experts. I just don't believe that the alcohol content can be determined before the alcohol is produced by fermentation.

Other than the hydrometer, O_D has already suggested the accurate (and maybe only other) way but wonder if some of the alcohol test strips would work. If all you're looking for is presence, maybe so as at least one product mentions:

Quote:
In addition to testing saliva alcohol, the Alco-ScreenTM can detect the presence of alcohol in other fluids.

Guess the caveat there would be that the other fluids they have in mind would probably not be new wine but more likely the byproduct of drinking such and would just indicate yes or no but not how much.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I've been using DOT 4 in all my vehicles with good results. I also flush it when it gets dirty with a power bleeder.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 15:37
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In my 34 Packard, I can't seem to find the master cylinder. Nor for that matter can I find any hydraulic lines or hoses. But in the 56 Caribbean I also have been using DOT4, flushing and replacing every 2-3 years. Nary a problem.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 15:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved