Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: 1955 Clipper Customs w/o TL
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I read about people having problems with their T/L system. What always amazed me is how little trouble I have had with two T/L Packards, considering that the system is 50 years old and hasn't been serviced by a Packard dealer since about 1957.

Posted on: 2010/1/18 11:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ditto Chuck, my experiences parallel yours, never a hint of a problem.

Posted on: 2010/1/18 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Same here, even after sitting for over 40 years abandoned in a field and with just lubrication and replacement of a bearing by myself I never had a single problem with my T/L.

Posted on: 2010/1/18 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:
<p>A 1955 Clipper is not the prettiest 1955 car made, that's for sure, although I happen to like them.</p><p>If one is going to buy a 1955-56 Packard, then T-L is one of the major features that differentiates a Packard from anything else. Otherwise, just buy a Ford or a Chevy.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Well, I happen to like my 1955 standard suspension no options Clipper. It is a Deluxe, not a Custom, so not much help on the thread topic. Sorry.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Keegan wrote:
Quote:

Well, I happen to like my 1955 standard suspension no options Clipper. It is a Deluxe, not a Custom, so not much help on the thread topic. Sorry.

No apologies necessary, Keegan. If a guy can't stand up for his ride on this forum, what can he do? Besides, a standard suspension '55 Clipper is a rare bird, indeed. I guess the most tempting V8 car with spring suspension for me would be a Panama, the kind old Jack Harlin drove at the stock car races, may he RIP in Packard Heaven. (If there ain't no Packards in Heaven, I would have a tough choice to make. But one thing I know for sure, there wouldn't be any in hell then, either. Now that's off-topic!)

Posted on: 2010/2/4 15:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I thought Jack Harlin drove a 55 T-L Clipper at the old roundy-round tracks. At least that's what I understood from his emails to me.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/2/4 17:51
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Nope. He tried it... once. He got black-flagged because the NASCAR guys (this was in an honest-to-goodness NASCAR event) told him it had busted springs. But I'll let him tell it:

HA I wish U luck in finding a Packard that raced let alone one with torsion Hope U do find out as I would like to know also.
We took the TL 56 to Darlington & it was a joke more or less. To give U a run down on Packards in racing. Since I wasnt doing a very good job we got Buck Baker to take it out. After 8 laps he brought it back & said if U guys make the race Im going to give U all the room I can & get away from it. We lowered the rear, cut the TL switch & I got black flaged.
Pit boss, Brunner, said the rear springs were broken, fix or leave the track.When told no springs on it he looked underneath . We leveled it out & when it raised up he thought we were a bunch of Yankees that modified a car that wasnt stock & red tagged us. They called the P dealer in Atlanta, to find out if a production car, or we modified it. Imagine now this was NASCAR not a local track. Any way no other Ps at that time were raced. Remember they were still fighting the Mason Dixon line back then & Junie Donlevy from Va. was furthest one North besides us from Harrisburg, Pa. This was a "good O'le Boys" group then.
I only told U this as to finding any that raced. We had the only P in local races also. Jack

Guy
The # 50 had regular suspension. I think I mentioned we installed heavier coil springs from a Henny ambulance.
We bought a totaled 56 Clipper 2dr. HT with TL to race. Didnt matter what we didit just wouldnt handle Both of us been in racing since 1947 running Ford coupes, & no stranger in setting them up, even though each required a different approach.
True tortion in race cars have 2 bars in front & rear, mounted side to side, & sdjusting them at the opposite end. In other words the bar for RF wheel is adjusted at LF end of it.
If U adj. more weight in RF, it changes wt. in LR wheel also, & LF gets lighter along with RR. Thats why a scale is used under the wheels to go back & know what U have. Different tracks different setting like gear changes. With 8 to 12 lbs air in tires plus stager on rear tires it becomes a science getting the proper balance hard to tacky tracks & choosing all these settings for last laps of race cause tracks change during the race. NO such control Of Packards TL A lot more involved than this but U get the idea. Jack

Here's number 50 with a '55 400 tow car:

Attach file:

jpg  (15.36 KB)
917_4b6e2dfee0d0d.jpg 469X313 px

Posted on: 2010/2/6 22:06
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved