Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 236

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

best spark plug for 51-54 packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
what is the proper and/or best spark plug for a 51-54 Packard, maybe ac45 or champion j8 or??? did the 1954 359 engine use the same plug?

also, does anyone know what plug an Edmunds head used for these cars? thnaks!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/1/10 19:48
 Top  Print   

Re: best spark plug for 51-54 packard?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Non-resistor plain AC-45. You can still find NOS ones on e-bay. But if you go to a tractor supply store, they still sell them for agricultural use. Same plug, just non-resistor. They typically have green rings on on them.

Regular parts stores still carry the AC-45R (resistor) and all the AC-45R variants (different reaches and heat ranges). But dont use these as you probably have the carbon resistor built into the distributor cap.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 19:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, there isn't a carbon resister in the rotor on a 6 volt system, is there?

PS the Autolite website used to have Packard plug recommendations all the way back into the 20s. You can also go on Bendix.com, click on Autolite, and find recommendations.

I use Autolite 303, 306 or 308 (removeable nipple for nickel thumb screw for 34 and back) in all flathead Packard eights that take 14 mm plugs. They are about equivalent to AC46 and Champ J11. They are resistor so I use non-resistor high tension wires, as most cars I work on have radios.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 20:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Of course you are correct. My mistake.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 20:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I would stay from using any type of Champion plug.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/1/10 21:16
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Once you select the correct heat range for a particular engine, which isn't necessarily the one orginally specified due to changes in engines, fuels and conditions under which the car is operated, in many years of maintaining Packards I've never noticed any significant difference between Champs, AC, or Autolite though I know others have different opinions. I dislike Champs because of the Cadmium plated shell which is inappropriate prior to 1955 or 56, give or take a year.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 21:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved