Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Peter Wherrett's 1956 Packard Review
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've found several references to export equipment in the 55-56 parts book, but nothing specific to RHD. On the other hand, old Studebaker parts books that I examined during my tour of duty at Avanti made frequent reference to "RHC". Perhaps Studebaker had a grater volume of export to merit the inclusion of parts for those cars, rather than some separate publication.

However, I doubt if there are very many parts required to make the RHD conversion in these Packards - over and above any other (LHD) export model. Clearly, some sort of filler would be needed for the former steering column opening at the bottom of the i/p. I suspect the rest of the panel was simply cut and redrilled. Could the decorative screen simply have been flipped (mirrored)? Then, if not a completely different front harness, wiring extensions euld be needed for the relocated for gauges and controls. Since no P/S, perhaps only a different gearbox was needed for steering. Certainly, new shift linkage (non-pushbutton) and brake lines would be needed for the relocated column and brake unit. Some sort of new rod might be needed to connect the relocated gas pedal to the balance of the existing throttle linkage. If power windows were available, could the door harness be flipped to support relocation of the master switch?

Meanwhile, I crackd the Brooklands' Packard Gold Portfolio open because I recalled at least one [/i]bona fide[/i] RHD V8 model therein, but they were both Clippers. One article had a nice interior view of the RHD front compartment. I agree that it would be just as possible to convert Sr. as Jr. to RHD, but perhaps the lack of P/S, though optional on all Seniors, was seen as a sticking point.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Wait till you visit the British Isles and find out that Cholmondeley is pronounced Chumley, Beaulieu is pronounced Bewley, Urquhart is pronounced Ukut, Taliaferro is Toliver, Beauchamp is Beecham, somehow Vanden Plas becomes Vaden Plaw and so on and so on.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 15:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I'm going to the UK for the second time this summer. Concerts in Wales and near Leeds, perhaps the Isle of Man.
I know of which you speak.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 16:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Once you get into the Welsh region all hats are off as far as pronunciation!

Posted on: 2010/2/3 16:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
I hope to see Owen's RHD article sometime, now that Peter has some information. Perhaps the British Packard clubs would have information.

Sadly, I suppose any information the factory had was likely burnt in the boilers as was much of the "rubbish."

Posted on: 2010/2/4 4:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I am not certain that there were not Packards converted, as my 56 Patrician has been. It has the original wiring loom and has a/c with dash vents( not working), power seats (working), power windows( working but with a Jaguar window unit in one window), Esamatic Power brake (working well, touch wood!), Push button Auto ( working now but would start in any gear when i got the car), electric antenna ( working). The dash metal woven screen material was reversed and looks ok but can be picked around the gauges if you are fussy. The power steering was changed to a Ford Fairlane PS (about 1975 vintage),and works ok but has a poor anti-clockwise ( sorry-counterclockwise ) turning circle. I consider that one of the primary reasons that Packards were not converted was the general inability to convert the luxury items, such as PS ,PB and Packard heater system.
In the Twenties and Thirties, Packard was "the" car to have in Australia. However, after WW11 the domestic market shifted to home grown Holden and Ford porducts, as well as a host of "buy British - Buy Best" English imports.
Packards were still a very respected car but were heavily Import Dutied and less were sold. They were considered luxury cars and fitted into the same basket as Alvis, Delahaye, Rolls, Bentley, Cadillac, Le Baron, and Lincoln. I consider that it was a pretty good marketing move for Packard to keep the offering to mainly Clipper items from 1951 onwards and they sold hundreds of good cars. More on the above when i can go through my files. best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 6:46
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved