Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Dyna-matting to 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information

Posted on: 2010/2/11 0:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I had a chance to compare the dyna mat and the frost king (duct insulation) together and they looked the exact same to me.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 7:33
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Are the advantages of using it significant? and what are they exactly? Is excessive heat/noise a noticeable problem in the 55/56s?

Posted on: 2010/2/11 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I went to the dynamat link but it does not show a cross section of the material.

Someone mentioned that it is of a bubble wrap nature.
If it is of a bubble wrap type of material then the bubbles will quickly burst over a period of time as feet and other objects scrub, press or drop on it.

Anything of a bubble wrap nature does not sound like a good idea to me LONG TERM.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 17:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Bubble Wrap would be a poor comparison, if even comparable at all.

Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
I went to the dynamat link but it does not show a cross section of the material.

Someone mentioned that it is of a bubble wrap nature.
If it is of a bubble wrap type of material then the bubbles will quickly burst over a period of time as feet and other objects scrub, press or drop on it.

Anything of a bubble wrap nature does not sound like a good idea to me LONG TERM.

Dynamat is used to soften or deaden noises. The example they use is to take a bell that you would see on a clerk's desk. Then take a second bell and attach a small piece of the dynamat to the outside. The noise suppression is quite noticeable.

When used in cars, it helps to keep road, engine, or environment noise down. But it will not eliminate it. Noise from windows and door openings will allow sound to enter the vehicle.

With car audio, many times, people will just install the material directly behind or underneath speakers to help increase the quality of sound played. (less background noise interferring with the music)

To do it correctly, the entire surface needs to be covered.

From my experience with installing the dynamat, it is a little hard to work with due to the thickness of the material, (If I had to guess, 1/8" to 3/16",) and requires a roller and a lot of patience. But the difference is noticeable. However, to install completely in a car would be pricey. I have seen people have rhino or linex installed instead of dynamat due to speed and cost.

With respect to if the metal tape wrap at home depot or lowes is comparable, that would be up for debate. I believe the thickness and density of the dynamat is greater than that of the home improvement materials, but would need to perform a science experiment to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 19:00
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
There is a product (liquid) called Lizard Skin, which is easily applied and flows to every part of the car to which it's applied. Maybe this is an alternative to Dynamat? I first heard of it via the Classicresto website from NY state.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 23:55
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tomsriv
See User information
Lowes sells stuff called Peal n' Seal. It has a slight stickiness to it, but I wouldn't count on it to stay on a vertical surface over time. I used it on my '65 Chevy truck and on the inside of the doors I put some silicone rubber on it to hold it to the vertical surfaces. I did the whole floor of the truck with about $15 of material. Its asphalt and Aluminum foil, no special science to it.

I wouldn't overdo it personally because it does add a bit of weight to the vehicle, one layer is enough.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 0:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eastwood sells this, a bit cheaper when compared to Dynamat. 6' x 2' for $20.

http://www.eastwood.com/heat-and-sound-insulating-material.html

Posted on: 2010/2/25 0:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved