Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

stick shift Execs
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Was stick ever offered on Execs? I know a fellow with a Clipper V8 stick setup in his barn, and I like to shift, so wondering if it would be kosher as far as originality ... it has overdrive too, is that a common or rare option? It was off of a '56 that was junked due to rust. Is the Overdrive setup on V8s electrical or mechanical actuation? Lots 'O ?s.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 16:25
 Top  Print   

Re: stick shift Execs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
In 2008, armed with photocopies of several factory Trade Letters from 1955 and 1956 on the subject of optional equipment pricing, I sat down and compiled a table of Regular Production Options, with their codes/symbols, that showed availability by model.

Do a site search on the key word "RPO" and look for "Build Sheet and Production Codes" articles in the results for the Literature and Manuals. I think you'll find the 56th Series chart to be quite helpful.

With no listing for the Executive in the Trade Letters then available to me, I initially made an educated guess as to equipment offerings for that mid-year model, based on my personal knowledge of my dad's car. Yet, it wasn't long after those charts debuted here, that a member privately provided me with a photocopy of a special letter on the new Executive models that had been sent out to dealers and copied to Zone offices, dated March 2, 1956. I immediately made a revision to the charts; only a handful of corrections were required for that model.

While the Executive was built on the Clipper Custom platform, it was fitted with a complement of standard equipment that was more in keeping with a genuine Senior. Ultramatic was standard, with pushbutton control available as an option. While there are some gaps in my series of Trade Letters on the matter, there's no mention of standard or overdrive being available as an option for the Executive in that special letter to dealers. Both Overdrive and Ultramatic were optional equipment for all Clippers.

Now, I've read of one, surviving, Executive hardtop that was built with some very special equipment, after much persistence by the prospective customer. Among its unique features were a Caribbean V8, full leather upholstery in a single-color, and radio delete, but I can't recall whether it had overdrive or merely standard trans.

However, the parts book references standard and overdrive parts for "All 56th" Series models, including the Exec. Clutch and pressure plate differ between Jr. and Sr., which is likely due to the difference in engines, as well as the existence of overdrive equipment.

In composing the RPO charts, I deferred to the Trade Letters, but it is entirely possible that we don't yet have the full picture, due to some missing supplements to those Letters. It's also hard to imagine that the part books was set up like that for only a handful of specials.

Upon donation of additional, bona fide factory letters, further revisions to those charts will be made and announced, as needed.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Any guess as to the ratio of prevalence of Ovedrive standards vs regular standards?

Here's an interesting quote I just found in "Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975" by Old Cars under the 1956 entry: "Three speed manual transmission was standard on Clippers; not available on Packards (except Clipper based Executives). Overdrive was optional on Clippers (and Executives) at $110."

Posted on: 2010/2/13 17:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would be willing to bet that standard and OD was available on an Exec and even on all in 56 if the issue was pressed despite the Ultra only reference. As an addition to the clutch plate info, according to specs, the 5540 was 10 1/2 inch diameter, 5560 and all 56 was 11" and a listing for with and without OD. Surprisingly for an option "not available" on the Packards, there is another number and specific mention of 5680-88 clutch plates with and without overdrive. Not sure of the differences but probably the dampening springs would be first guess.

As to your other question re electrical or mechanical activation, they are electric. Assuming the lockout knob is in the ready position, as soon as governed speed is reached it will go into OD if you let off the gas and allow the solenoid to engage the pawl. Interestingly up to 54 there was also an electrical lockout switch activated by the control knob but that was eliminated for 55-6 so electrics are at the ready all the time.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 18:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Is Overdrive option typical with 3 spd, or is there no data to
actually refer to in order to know, or at least surmise..

Posted on: 2010/2/13 20:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know but others might if there is any data as to the ratio to be found but know it was optional. A friend has a couple of stick shift cars-- a 56 Patrician with (which I believe was a transplant) and a 55 Clipper deluxe original without.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 20:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I have no data to prove it, but in my experience most packards with standard transmission also came with overdrive. It made for a much better road car and a more flexible setup. The only 56 I have actually seen with a stick was a Clipper Super with overdrive and it had been driven from Colorado to the National Packard Meet in Atlanta, Georgia. The owner said he drove it all the time and it would cruise at 70 or higher all day.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
The Cormorant of Autumn 1978 has an article about the flip chart Introducing the 56th series the original I have has a page saying "Packard is the only fine car available with Standard transmission or overdrive" The approved codes for 56th series MS Transmission Manual shift 5622-42-47-62-67-77A-77A-82-87-97-99 OD Transmission overdrive (Used only with MS) 5622-42-47-62-67-72A-77A-82-87-97-99

Attach file:

jpg  (79.14 KB)
1052_4b783980a4fb2.jpg 1009X1280 px

jpg  (79.14 KB)
1052_4b7839f5878ad.jpg 1009X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/2/14 13:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
56executive, that's interesting material. How does one reconcile that with the apparent fact that there is no Utica Plant engine build code for a 56 Caribbean with a standard flywheel, just a flex plate for Ultramatic? Curious.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 14:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Do not have any info on the Utica plant

Posted on: 2010/2/14 14:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved