Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 130

TxGoat, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: '56 V8 production vs serial #s
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, buying a copy of the build slip is the way to go. If it's missing, bracket your VN with the nearest before and nearest after.

I the absence of that, start with the casting date on the block, the transmission, and the date stamped on the back of the clock and the radio. And look for a date stamped on the backside of the upholstery. One thing for sure, you know the car had to have been built after the latest of those dates.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen brings up another good source for evidence. Date stamped parts.
My 5672-1074 has a yellow rubber stamped march 5 1956 on the UNDERSIDE of the top of the heater box. So if u pull off the top of the heater box and look it mite be there if it's not too rusty. So mine can be narrowed even further to AFTER mar 5 1956. Of course that assumes the heater box was never replaced. Most likely not replaced.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 20:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I looked at my copy of the TPC
1019 and 1197 do not show rear speakers on the build sheet 1016 does not show wire wheel hubcaps the author may have some personal experience with these cars

1042 was shipped to Krefeld via Rotterdam
1049 was marked for Ciudad Trujillo
1155 was marked for Emile Delcourt

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I'd venture to say that the average Packard owner is a tad more fact and detail obsessed than your average vintage car owner!

I think the level of engineering on Packards just attracts people who enjoy working on vehicles with their own two hands.

Then, because the dealer network evaporated decades ago, PackardV8 is right that we have to be that way about facts and details.

Try getting any technical assistance from GM for any of their products that are more than 10 years old!

Posted on: 2010/2/18 23:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi All,

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but thought since were talking about 56 engines i thought I'd post the question...

When we pulled the engine out of my 55 Caribbean, the number on the top of the block in 167 (front of block).
At the rear of the engine is a date 1-4-56 (on the top above the casting number at the rear of block) Indicating this is a later model engine. Would these numbers indicate this is a replacemet engine?

There is also no Utica number stamped on the back of the block (well none that I could see).
I have some pics which I will post tomorrow.

Cheers,
Mat

Posted on: 2010/5/16 8:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, a '56 casting date block in a '55 would be a replacement block, maybe engine.

FWIW, the great majority of heads and engines coming out of '56 cars will have '55 casting dates.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/5/16 18:39
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Mat,

That shouldn't be surprising with your car since is was previously altered with a transmission swap. So who knows what a previous owner may have done. Shouldn't the Utica Engine number match the VN number on 55/56s. If it doesn't then I would imagine that engine was either swapped later, or was a service replacement.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 18:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved