Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

torsion bar suspension quirks
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Our 1955 Constellation drives like new except that every once in a while the rear will drop to the ground for no apparent reason. 60 to 70 percent of the time the suspension functions like it should.
When this happens the car will eventually adjust high then low one or two times then settle to normal and no problems for a day, week or month. The electrical system has been checked and the front end rebuilt and everything lubed several times.
Any Ideas on solving this problem would be appreciated.
John

Posted on: 2010/2/16 23:21
 Top  Print   

Re: torsion bar suspension quirks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Is this an electrical event? does the compensator motor run on its own to cause this or is it a mechanical occurance?

Posted on: 2010/2/16 23:27
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Topic moved to the 55-56 Forum. Thx

Posted on: 2010/2/16 23:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Here are two SCs to read and check out. Also make sure the bolts that hold the front link to the crossmember are torqued properly.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SB-325.pdf

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL30NO4.pdf

Posted on: 2010/2/17 2:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Thanks, John

Posted on: 2010/2/17 10:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
SB-325 is very interesting and sure fits your symptoms, but if everything on the bulletins check out, would also check one other place.

I know this is extremely unlikely and erratic action doesn't appear to be happening enough to be the cause of your issue---but easy to check. Turn the suspension off and then remove the rod from control switch and make sure there is spring tension when moving the lever. I have in my possession a control box with a broken spring. Works normally except that without the spring, the internal mechanism is able to "float" and would periodically make contact. There is just enough internal friction that when the lever moved in operation, it also moved the mechanism normally & eventually to neutral so compensator would stop until the next good bounce or vibration caused it to make contact again.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Fresno, Thank you I will try your tip this weekend .
I attended Fresno State and hope to drive our Constellation to a show/swap meet in Fresno this this summer.

John

Posted on: 2010/2/18 20:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved