Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

William Grosz, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: V8 Model Production Figures
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I believe the 55 and 56 Production figures as Owen and 56Executive have shown should be considered correct. I know of no contradictory evidence for total production figures as stated.
Unless someone comes up with 200 or more Packards with VN's way higher than production figures then we must accept the data as it is shown (with minor Executive variation*).

I see no reason not to accept it.

*Edit: changed "correction" to "variation".

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe source for my Executive total production figures stated above come from Encyclopedia of American Cars 1930-1980 Richard M Langsworth.

I make no claim as to Langsworth source nor accuracy. I make no claim because i don't know.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
THe source for my Executive total production figures stated above come from Encyclopedia of American Cars 1930-1980 Richard M Langsworth.

I make no claim as to Langsworth source nor accuracy. I make no claim because i don't know.

So then it's not a mystery?

Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:

Does anyone know?

Quote:

56executive wrote:

I do not know

Neither do I.

'56executive,

Not to disparage your source, which looks like it was a concerted effort to do this compilation, but the opening page shown is dated "April 23, 1951 and stamped "REC'D MAY 4, 1951," and could not include V8 Packard production data unless they had a crystal ball. "1899 to Date" seems to refer to the date of April 23, 1951.

The introductory note ends with the line: : "Your suggestions toward improvement or expansion [of the list] will be welcomed."

Doesn't exactly sound like the authors felt the data were conclusive.

Nuff said?

Posted on: 2010/2/18 23:26
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
If you will look at the scan of the page "forward" "it includes all models and body types since the beginning of production to date. After the close of each calender year, information for that year will be added". And it is updated to the end of 1956. Any historical book has to start sometime so April 23rd 1951 was this one

Posted on: 2010/2/19 8:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
One thing caught my eye from all this discussion about production figures, which carried over from the "fender mounted rear view mirrors" thread.

While the chart that Owen originally provided from the 1955-1956 Service Counselor reprint, in post #37 of that other thread, shows a count of 1748 "Custom sedans", I believe that line should read as "Executive sedans". They also made a mistake with a combined count of 1031 for Executive "2dr Hdtp & Sedan" as all sources I've checked show that as the count for the 2-door hardtop Executive only.

Now, that count of 1748 for the Exec sedan matches what was published in the Dawes book and is what I used for the corresponding Model Info page, but perhaps it is wrong. Yet, just because all other books published since then report a count of 1784, doesn't mean that they are all right.

However, the factory document in the possession of 56executive appears to be bona fide, and Roscoe told us, in post #38 of that other thread, it shows 1784 for the Exec sedan.

So, unless someone has evidence that his paper is in error, I will edit the Model Info page for the 5672A Executive Touring Sedan to show production of 1,784.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 15:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BH, 56executive also pointed out a couple of other transposed numbers in that chart that need correction.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I'm a tad confused (nothing new)...so if the serial # were say 5672 1433, one would subtract 1000 from that to determine it was actually the 433rd Executive sedan for 56? if I understand correctly? IOW it started at 5672 1001 as the first car?

Posted on: 2010/2/19 15:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Correct. Just remember when you apply the same thinking to other years, the base number varied. For many postwar years it was 2000, some prewar years it also could have been 100, 10, or even 1 (for chassis sales, for example).

Posted on: 2010/2/19 15:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
OK, I see 1955 Clipper Deluxe production is 8039 - not 8309. The 5522 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan page of the Model Info database has now been corrected.

The only other model-specific count he provided was for the Exec hardtop (5677A), which matches what I already had.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 18:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks BH for your constant attention to these details!

Posted on: 2010/2/19 18:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved