Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Eugene Wescott, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Caribbean valve clearance problem
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
We are trying to finish our 1954 Caribbean engine. I am told that valve clearance is very important and that there is a tool that you insert through the block to the lifters to set the tappet (sp?) and valve clearance. The mechanic working on the engine calls it a feeler gauge. We can't seem to locate one. Does anyone know where we can buy one of these tools for a '54 Packard or if there is some other way of setting the valve clearance?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/2/19 11:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Caribbean valve clearance problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't think you have the full story; since the lifters are hydraulic, when you replace the valves, cut the seats, or cut the face of the old valves you may change the distance between the valve stem end and the lifter and you no longer have assurance that the clearance is within the range of operation of the hydraulic lifter.

The special gauge blocks came in two different models, one for the 356 engine and one for the later 327/359 engines are are well-described in the shop manuals for all these models. Fortunately both gauge blocks have been in reproduction of decades, Ron Carpenter being one source, I also still have some left from when I offered them decades ago.

In use, you remove the hydraulic plunger from the lifter body, make sure the cam lobe is fully DOWN, insert the gauge block into the lifter body, and grind the end of the stem until the clearance is between 0.030" and 0.070". That's it in a nutshell, but I strongly suggest you read the shop manual for more information.

But if I understand it correctly, if your mechanic can't find a feeler gauge or know what one is, I'd be VERY concerned about his ability to work on your car.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 12:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thank you for the help!

Posted on: 2010/2/19 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
after you get the correct .030 to .070 stem clearance make sure you have the correct valve spring pressure and height. the installed length is 1.75 inches and the spring pressure i believe should be about 60 lbs at 1.75 inches. if this is not correct and spring pressure is to low and you have more then then 50 psi of oil pressure the valves will flote. read all the books, good luck. mel

Posted on: 2010/2/20 12:49

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved