Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Electric Fuel Pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I also have what appears to be the same filter and no problems. My pump is a Purolator and was bought locally at one of the chain stores--a small cube shape. Works well but depending on how you mount, can be noisy.
I put it just ahead of the tank on the sloped sheetmetal that forms part of trunk floor. Advantage there was close to tank outlet and very easy to plumb and fairly well protected. Disadvantage to mounting there was, as I found, it had to be isolated from sheet metal with a rubber pad and grommets for the screws, otherwise the pulsing was amplified by sheet metal and quite loud. If you mount yours on a more substantial piece of metal such as the crossmember, may not be an issue.

Posted on: 2010/2/20 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kev, I think I have the orig. box at the garage - will check it out Monday as garage is closed for rest of weekend.

Posted on: 2010/2/20 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Kevin, Here is some info I obtained when looking for a electric fuel pump to replace the electric one I had, because it was destroyed by ethanol. Go to the Airtex website---airtexproducts.com---they have both 6 and 12 volt universal pumps. The phone number is 800-424-7839 and ask for technical support if you need help deceiding which pump to buy. Good luck, Frank

ps--I bought a airtex 6volt solenoid type on e-bay believe it was $42.00.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 13:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I also have an Airtex pump on my '47. I use it only to assist starts after a long sit so can't recommend for reliability but it was only about $35 on ebay. It comes with a filter also. The loacl NAPA wanted $100 for the exact same pump.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 14:21

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kev, I copied this from the Airtex site. It looks exactly like the one I purchased except for the label. I did put an inline filter ahead of the pump and regulated the presure to be in line with Packard's mech. pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.61 KB)
23_4b81949ba7b3f.jpg 792X612 px

Posted on: 2010/2/21 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, the NAPA electric fuel pump Clipper47 refers to may be a Carter. I bought one from them for a 39 Cadillac 60 Special I had a few years ago. Good stuff, but expensive.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, The pump the NAPA salesman showed me was an Airtex. I was surprised that it was $100 Canadian. The exact model pump I bought from a Duluth MN old car parts supplier was also an Airtex only for $35US. With shipping and money exchange it still was only about $50Canadian.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 12:54

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved