Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

Don B, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

32 Exhaust wrap
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
For wrapping the exhaust head pipe, what would be the correct material to use. Any pictures on how the wrap is secured. My car when I acquired it had this cotton like material secured with what looks like baling wire.

I was looking at exhaust wrapping material from Restoration Supply

Posted on: 2010/2/26 18:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 32 Exhaust wrap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
McVey's (the Cadillac/LaSalle source) is the supplier for a non-asbestos alternative to the original for 33 and up which used preformed rigid halves held by strapping bands. Earlier models which used a more flexible material actually wrapped like a bandage may also be available from McVey,s but you'd have to check with them. They've advertised this material in Hemmings for many moons.

I could post a picture tomorrow if you wish.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I used the wrap type on the exhaust pipe of my 1939 Cadillac Sixty Special. I got it from a performance parts store. McVey's has good stuff but he gets a good price for it too. I recommend you shop around. It is easy to install, just wrap the pipe and secure with stainless steel clamps. I seemed to help keep heat out of the engine compartment.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/2/26 19:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I'm thinking about replacing the head pipe as it easy just damn ugly and then ceramic coating it to also keep the heat out.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 20:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, replace the exhaust pipe if needed, but why not for the sake of a few $ wrap it and get the authentic OEM appearance?

Posted on: 2010/2/26 20:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
If you want to get fancy you can do a ceramic coating. JET HOT does excellent work and can have it back in a week or so. Theirs can lower exhaust temps by quite a few degrees as my pipes on my shovelhead are almost cool enough to hold your hand on after ten miles.

Thermotec.com sells the wraps. That pretty much all they do and are very helpful. Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/2/26 20:52
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I kept porcelain on my intake but used JET HOT on the exhaust manifold - certainly it can't match the appearance of a fresh porcelain job but the car is driven a reasonable number of miles each year so the JET HOT was a compromise. It's held up reasonably well, completely unsatisfactory for a show car but a reasonable alternative for a driver.

The exhaust pipe is stainless, and insulated with the McVey moulded casing. Unwanted heat into the car body has never been a problem.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Themotec dosn't sell what I would consider concours correct. Restorastion supply sells what they call muffler wrap for about $8.00. However don't know how close to concours oem look it would be. I checked out McVey and they were a little spendy.

Owen...What length of pipe can you cover with the McVey material?

I was thinking of ceramic coating it with silver color and then wrapping it. Is that just an overkill?

Posted on: 2010/2/26 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
McVey's (the Cadillac/LaSalle source) is the supplier for a non-asbestos alternative to the original for 33 and up which used preformed rigid halves held by strapping bands. Earlier models which used a more flexible material actually wrapped like a bandage may also be available from McVey,s but you'd have to check with them. They've advertised this material in Hemmings for many moons.

I could post a picture tomorrow if you wish.

Can you post a picture? Thanks Owen.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
tbirdman, sorry for the confusion, but I went back and checked my records and when I redid the engine a few years ago I used the E.H.P. product, not McVeys. Information enclosed. The 24" length was more than required to match the original pipe wrap. I don't currently have any film in the camera but if I can get thru the snow to the car I can measure the length i used tomorrow, and take a few snapshots next week. I got the tip on this product from a premier restoration shop who uses it on many Pebble-quality restorations.

Attach file:

jpg  (148.22 KB)
177_4b889c197e252.jpg 995X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/2/26 23:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved